Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My 99 X-cab Rebuild / Build Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Whitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whitfield's Tacoma Gallery
My 99 X-cab Rebuild / Build Thread

350TacoZilla invited me over. I'm a Mod over on Zuwharrie (IFS Tracker Sidekick section) and build Suzuki Sidekicks / Samurais. I've owned a few 85 and older HiLux TOyota's but this is my first newer Toyota.

Like anything else I've never worked on before ~ Lots and Lots and Lots to learn... So please slap me around if it looks like I'm doing somthing stupid..

Working with a Crashed 99 X-cab TRD 3.4L 5-spd (stock) ~ Cheap

Body shop worked with the frame but in the end it was still folded up too much for my taste... Moved the truck back into storage and searched for a frame. Finally found the right deal and scored my frame... It came pre cut for a 6" Trail Master lift, So I managed to get them to throw in the front lift with the frame for $400 (All other frames with in 5 hrs were 1k+).

I have not read any good reviews on the Trail Master lift, but I'm thinking I can make it work for all the Mall crawling I do here around town. Truck will be a 75% DD / Parts hauler, I've got a off road only Suzuki Samurai and a Suzuki Buggy for the ugly stuff and I've build a few custom IFS strut based lifts from scratch for Tracker / Sidekicks. Having the TM kit should make it a little easier then starting with nothing.

Then I got my Tacoma to shake it like a pole dancer ~ Yea babay take it off :saw:

Link to [glow=orange,2,300]Trail Master 6" Suspension Lift Installation Instructions[/glow]
http://www.watrd.com/work/trailmaster.pdf
Sand Blasted Entire lift kit.
Painted Entire lift kit with gloss black Sher Kem Equipment Paint 8) 8) 8)
Inventoried Lift install hardware + Cleaned + Sorted.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Whitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old frame out / new frame in.

(Waiting on the new 91 VW Jetta Cartridge Struts)
75% of TM 6" Lift bolted onDrop members / Rack / Upper strut mount (Replaces UCA) / LCA / OE Strut.

Rear axle is in all except the dead bolt I removed with the torch.
OE Rear Spring bolt was seized in the bushing. Removed with flame wrench. While sourcing new bolts and bushings I ran across the chance to go Chevy's for cheap...

So I bought a set of 2000 1/2 ton 2wd Chev 63" rear springs this morning and placed an order with Ruff Stuff Specialties this evening for all the associated install hardware. New hardware should arrive Monday

Hmmm Looks like a great package for a buggy... 3.4L V6 5-spd Over head Hoist and trolly is nice.

Spring bushing and bolt seized. Jeff wanted to break out the bigger hammer... Still no luck ~ So I torched it off.

New frame all painted up rolling into the shop.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #4

FOund a good 63" FAQ
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...threadid=20665
From my buggys building I like the looks of the kit by Ruff Stuff Specialties.

$120

This is the easy way to swap in your new 63" Chevy springs! These springs are pretty much the most desireable springs you can get in any yard for under $100 and they love to flex! This kit comes with our Frenched Chevy Spring hangers, the Wayback shackle hangers to match, and 4 - 6" Shackle plates to finish it off. The shackle hangers are really a must so you don't end up having to cut off and reposition the weaker stock ones. It is a quick afternoon job but you do need to be a welder. Add a ton of flex quick!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #5

Install Tech from previous link:
Q. How far forward do I mount the new front spring hanger?
A. 1998-2004 Tacomas:
Mount the front spring hangers forward 7.5 inches.

Q. Can I still run a stock rear driveline with this swap?
A. I do recommend that you lower the carrier bearing by an inch to keep the driveline angle happy. I failed to do so and smoked the u-joint at the pinion in about 6 months.

ahhh ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop View Post
Ruff Stuff makes some good u-bolt flip kit parts:
Top plate (3/8")
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...ate-p-200.html
U-bolts (5/8" x 3" x 10" ) x 4
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...x-10-p-72.html
Shock tabs:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...rved-p-97.html
(the tabs look like these below, but beveled for the 3" axle housing)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I should be just under $250 with springs but no brake line or Shocks. I'm gonna try to maintain the Overload and Stockish shock location as long as I keep it a DD / Tow bitch. May re-arange rear shock geometry once I go SAC.

Order History

1. 63" Chevy Spring Swap
2. Paired Shock Bracket, Curved, Axle
3. Toyota 2.5" U Bolt Plate
4. U bolt, 5/8" X 3" X 10"
Cupon code: NCB10 for - 10%
Old 04-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #6

New struts for the Trail Master kit (Ebay):
$30 per pair + Ship ~ BIN B O N U S
(2) Monroe Sensatrac Cartridge Struts part # 72873
1989 1990 1991 Golf 360252598388
- Price: US $30.00
Old 04-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #7

S C O R E

Was trading Suzuki Parts with a friend from PA who is running a V-6 2.7L Suzuki engine (like the bad one I just swapped out of Wifey's XL-7) in his Rock Buggy. ~ He wanted a buildable spare...

He drove his brothers Taco down and he made me an offer to buy his brothers Can-Back top...

I couldn't refuse. I don't know what they go for but these things are cool!!! Gotta try to keep reminding myself I don't need trinkets until this thing is running.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v
ak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ak47's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #9

Hope to get the engine / Trans / T-case into the new frame tomorrow.

Rear spring mounting parts should come in after I leave for work.

New Struts should be here on Thurs / Friday...

Unfortunatly this whole work thing keeps getting in the way
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
glad to see you over here.. the chevy swap will really make the truck ride better and handle weight better. Flex is one thing that it seems everyone originally does the swap for but end up being more impressed with general driving. Now if I could just talk you out of staying IFS up front ...... lol
Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

also here is a pic to give you idea of your finished ride height, this is 3" suspension and 3" body on 35's
Attached Thumbnails
My 99 X-cab Rebuild / Build Thread-hpim0463.jpg  
Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #12

I found this one ~ Same lift. Seems to have great clearance everywhere but the backs of the front wheels.

Hoping the 36" TSL SX's off the rock buggy will be an option.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #14

yeah look up pinch weld here on site or google it easy and really the wheels are the biggest thing to watch I have ran 33's on a buddies 15x7's that rubbed but my 35x12.50's on 15x8s dont because his had more backspacing and the tires rubbed the frame in rear when turned it was opposite of what i figured would happen going to smaller tire and wheel
Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
SYC TACO
VixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Victor
VixTacom's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to VixTacom
I'm currently working on the same issue.. my truck was ambushed, so i gotta build from what i have. it isn't as bad as the 99 but its pretty banged up :/. needless to say i gotta repaint the whole truck after the ambushing. keep posting pictures of the 99 and good luck.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #17

Dug my 99 Tacoma project out of the weeds. Rebuilding an Inboard Ski boat turned into a summer project.

Rigging the cab for hoisting was not fun. It was borderline dangerous.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #18

Called Toyota today for 2 heater hoses (Core to engine) and 2 metal brake lines (Master to Chassis). They quoted me $109 and the brake lines were 2 weeks out. Kid at the frame shop squished my OE lines last year trying to pull the old frame. I picked up a metric double flare tool ~ 3rd time this month (flaring lines is getting to be not such a PITA). Molded Heater hoses will be in at ADV. in the Am ($12 / $18).

I've also got a Samurai project going on in the background when I reach a road block.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
WASTE MANAGEMENT is on a distinguished road

Name: Travis
WASTE MANAGEMENT's Tacoma Gallery
WOW you are a brave and busy guy.