Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Too ghetto?

Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Too ghetto?

I have opportunity to purchase a nice cap. Problem is, it's designed for a reg cab. I know the cab slope is diff than my xtracab. How bad will it look? Any one have setup?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
h_curtis will become famous soon enough
h_curtis's Tacoma Gallery
If it fits, how bad could it look? It is just a cap on the back of a truck. These are trucks, not Lambos. If you are that concerned ask if you could lay it on top of your bed and have a look. They aren't that heavy.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
You can get an idea how much gap it will leave by placing a vertical line / edge at the front of your bed.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
AlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
AlexanderD's Tacoma Gallery
if you have a pic of both have one of the photo-shop-ing guys put it on there for you.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
kroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
kroggy's Tacoma Gallery

Sorry not the greatest pic. It's hard to tell, but the topper was from the truck in my avatar. When I totaled it I moved it to this truck.

Just let me know if you want me to take close up pics for you.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
looks pretty dang good from here. but if you have a closer pic that would be appreciated! Do you find the gap allows more things to trap in between the cap and cab? Also, do the rear windows line up? (is the rear window on the xtra and stand cabs in the same location?) Also I assume the differences does not affect fitment to the bed rails?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
kroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kroggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
looks pretty dang good from here. but if you have a closer pic that would be appreciated!
I can get some pictures for you later today or tomorrow, just have to find the camera. I think it looks pretty good from a distance, because the lunar mist and the white kinda have the same shade in low light at long distances, but I still plan on getting a new (or new to me) one when I can afford it. I rolled the truck the topper was on, it's still in good condition but I need to reseal the windows, since the rain gets in there.

Quote:
Do you find the gap allows more things to trap in between the cap and cab?
I wouldn't say anything more has trapped between the gap other than snow, for right now.

Quote:
Also, do the rear windows line up? (is the rear window on the xtra and stand cabs in the same location?)
I actually think my view on this cap in particular is better out of the extended cab. On my regular cab, the cap window placement blocked the top of the cab window so visibility wasn't the greatest. (I'll take a picture from the inside of the truck too then)

Quote:
Also I assume the differences does not affect fitment to the bed rails?
Assumption is correct. Fit to the bed rails is good.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #9

kroggy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting! I picked up the shell today and it looks great. Very dusty and has a lot of bugs inside from being in a barn for 2 years. I'll clean it up and take some pics..

Question: It came with 4 c-clamps. How tight are you guys tightening them? I got it to the point where when I grasp the roof racks and shake, it would shake the whole truck... However, while driving at highway speed and looking back at the shell, I do see some slight vibration when going over bumps, but it might just be that the whole bed was shaking from the bumps..
Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroggy View Post
I really like the seal between the cap and the bed. I see you have bedliner sprayed over the rails.. does that help with sealing? What is that silver strip you have there?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for posting! I picked up the shell today and it looks great. Very dusty and has a lot of bugs inside from being in a barn for 2 years. I'll clean it up and take some pics..

Question: It came with 4 c-clamps. How tight are you guys tightening them? I got it to the point where when I grasp the roof racks and shake, it would shake the whole truck... However, while driving at highway speed and looking back at the shell, I do see some slight vibration when going over bumps, but it might just be that the whole bed was shaking from the bumps..
Give 'er a good power wash.

I think it's the whole truck bed, or the mirror you're looking into shaking. Cap shouldn't be goin anywhere though.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #14

kroggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I really like the seal between the cap and the bed. I see you have bedliner sprayed over the rails.. does that help with sealing? What is that silver strip you have there?
AFAIK it's just a bit of edge guard to cover the bottom edge of the fiberglass. I'm not sure if the bedliner helps or hinders, but it hasn't posed an issue yet. Just make sure you get some foam weatherstrip tape, put it on the topper rails then put the topper on the bed.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
How do I wire the high mounted brake light? The topper has some connector at the end of the wire and the seller was saying it's a pretty standard connector..
Old 04-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #16
v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v
ak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ak47's Tacoma Gallery
the canopy i have was from a pre-taco. but its just for camping/fishing/hunting so no need to be pretty. just a little shorter. i've actually had compliments on it. i say do it..
Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #17
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
I got it on the truck..... might take it into a trucker shop to have them professionally seal it for me.. the old foam at the bottom doesn't seal very well and there's a visible gap in the front.. how much you think they'd charge?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #18

kroggy's Tacoma Gallery
Take a putty knife peel & scrape the old stuff off. Then go to the hardware store and buy some stuff like this:

They make some that's about an inch wide made for campers and toppers. It was about $10 here. IMO way cheaper than paying someone, you just need a buddy to do it.