Notices

98 Pre Runner re-build

Old 04-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
amart2009 is on a distinguished road
Army: 1-153 CAV (53rd IBCT)
Name: Adam
amart2009's Tacoma Gallery
98 Pre Runner re-build

I've seen a lot of good advice on this forum. Unfortunately, I've not been so lucky thus far. I'm overseas right now so I'm just acquiring shit for the build when I return. Situation: all piston rings gone, one bent rod, crank shaft is fuqd', as well as all the bearings. I've already located a rebuilt motor with front cover already installed, cylinder heads have been bake cleaned and shot blasted, high quality seals, 3 angle cut valve seats, oil holes have been chamfered and micro polished, and the decks have been milled and surface checked. $1,642 out the door. Deal or no deal?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
dang, did you own this truck before all these problems occured or bought all beat up?
doesnt sound fun to me

i would have bought this!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...ts-extras.html
Old 04-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
I put 50,000 on it. Has 183,000 on it now. Piston rings went out on the old lady while she was driving it, dumped all the oil and she kept on truckin'. Sucked, but she didn't know any better. Besides, gives me a reason do dump some green in it.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

damn, good luck with it man!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Yeah, I'm not getting any feedback. What's up with that?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #6

there are no pictures

give it time, its only been a short while
Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amart2009 View Post
I've seen a lot of good advice on this forum. Unfortunately, I've not been so lucky thus far. I'm overseas right now so I'm just acquiring shit for the build when I return. Situation: all piston rings gone, one bent rod, crank shaft is fuqd', as well as all the bearings. I've already located a rebuilt motor with front cover already installed, cylinder heads have been bake cleaned and shot blasted, high quality seals, 3 angle cut valve seats, oil holes have been chamfered and micro polished, and the decks have been milled and surface checked. $1,642 out the door. Deal or no deal?
Well, basically, need to weigh the pros and cons. What it really comes down to is the condition of the parts you aren't swapping out. You're pretty close to the border line "worth it" in my opinion, but then again, I would also have to hire someone to put the engine in for me as well (time vs money... I'd loose more money doing it myself than paying someone).

If everything else is in fantastic shape, you'll potentially be able to drive that thing up to 500k+ (with some repairs along the way of coarse, but same repairs for a different vehicle as well).

But if the trans, suspension, frame, body, or other main components are also about to fail, you're going to end up dumping more into it than it would've taken to buy a lower mileage, later model version.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
Everything else has been well maintained and has no danger of failing at all. And as far as only replacing what is wrong with it, I think that if I'm already going this deep into the motor, why only fix what's broken? May as well re-build the entire motor while I'm in it. Atleast I would think.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
I replied on the other post. but I would just replace the motor, and rebuild that one as a project.
http://LCEngineering.com