1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

POR15 or not?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tbell5, May 3, 2010.

1. May 3, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    Tbell5

Tbell5 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD XCAB
    I took my 04 taco into the the dealer for frame inspection. The tech said it was one of the cleanest ones he saw. I asked about the under coating and the representative looked at me like I had two heads. He said I don't think Toyota is doing that in NY.

My question: I have areas of surface rust. Do I grind them down and por15 them or just leave them and hope the frame rots before my 15 extended warranty is up?

Any pictures of peoples frames they POR15 would be nice. Did you just cover the rust spots or paint the whole frame?

Thanks

B

2. May 3, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The frame rust warrantee is because the INSIDE of the frames are rusting (not the outsides).

POR15 is expensive..... and works much better on majorly rusted areas (not surface rust) because it penetrates and attaches to it.

I used POR15 on my Dana 44 axles I installed under my Jeep. The ugliest and worst rusted spots and porous/cast metal is where the POR15 shines and stays intact.

If you clean off the surface rust, you're dealing with the same situation as working with non-rusted, flat metal. You need to be very careful in how you prep those areas because if its not prepped right - the POR15 will eventually peel off. My husband and I had all the POR15 recommended cleaners & supplies to do the job, but it just didn't stay on the flat metal surfaces as good as it did the majorly rusted ones.

Using POR15 on the outside of the frame isn't necessarily going to save the inside of your frame. So - I'm not sure its worth spending all that time & money to use POR15 versus using something cheaper & easier to apply.

Have you tried calling other dealers about the frame coatings?

3. May 3, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    A lot of people prefer Eastwood Rust Encapsulator over POR15.. I got it it as well. Not sure how it compares to POR15 but I went Eastwood due to their reviews of the product.

I'm using it on my bed which has some rust towards to rear weld line.

Products Discussed in

To Top