Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dual Exhausts?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
ILove2Drive's Tacoma Gallery
Dual Exhausts?

Hi I was considering getting duals put on my truck. I would really like to have a good deep rumble to it, it doesn't have to be extremely loud but I am shooting for a real good sound, not ricey. I have a V6 by the way. Any advice would be great, thanks!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Read/look through Performance&tuning. (in the form)You'll find it all there.Short muffler=loud,longer has sound with out volume. Happy moding ps. Welcome to TW.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
get a flowmaster 40 series single in/dual out, and get an exhaust shop to run your dual pipes.......cost alot less than a catback. plus the flowmaster has a awesome deep rumble, just my opinion though.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
If you're trying to make your V6 rumble like a V8 it ain't gonna happen. You'll need to shoehorn a V8 in there to make it sound the way you want.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK is on a distinguished road
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BrianPK
like tacomaman said, a flowmaster 40 series single in, dual out makes a nice deep rumble without sounding ricey. it's what i have on my truck and definately turns heads.

first time i heard it... i melted.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #6
dirtybikerboi_78 is on a distinguished road
dirtybikerboi_78's Tacoma Gallery
i would suggest the flowmaster 40 series..single in/dual out.....
Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 AM   #7
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
I had a S-10 4.3 with a 40 and later a 50 series flowmaster (single in/duel out). I was asked all the time if the truck had a v-8 in it. And my neighbors heard me before they saw me. It sounded great, but if I get an exhaust system for my Tacoma I want something quieter.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
poopieshucks is on a distinguished road
poopieshucks's Tacoma Gallery
Why

Please dont do that to your beautiful truck. I have flowmaster and just took the cat off and it sounds great. I just think the duals get in the way. Thats just my opinion. I hope everyone is having a great day.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopieshucks View Post
Please dont do that to your beautiful truck. I have flowmaster and just took the cat off and it sounds great. I just think the duals get in the way. Thats just my opinion. I hope everyone is having a great day.
Taking the CAT off is illegal ...atleast in some states. You won't pass inspection in PA without one unless you have less than 5,000 miles per year and are exempt.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove2Drive View Post
Thank you all very much, but what would be the comparison between the flowmaster 40 and 50?
sound difference and chambers......the 50 series has 3 chambers i believe, and its a bit quieter than the 40 series. i still like the 40, but the 50 sounds pretty good.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What price range would I probably be looking at to have it installed at my local shop? And would I benefit from purchasing the flowmaster myself or just getting everything from them?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with tacomaman when it comes to the flowmaster 40. I have the single in dual out on my taco and i turn heads all the time. I would also just go to a local muffler shop i got mine done at one and paid $115 for parts and labor and it only took a hour.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #15

Quote:
What price range would I probably be looking at to have it installed at my local shop? And would I benefit from purchasing the flowmaster myself or just getting everything from them?
you can just get everything from them, muffler,piping and tips(single tip if you just go with single in/out.....2 tips for the dual)......single in/out with a nice tip may run you around, and its just a guess cause every place is different, say $125, and single in/dual out with nice tips.....probably around $250 to $300......which is way better than buying the dual catback from flowmaster......which is around $500 or more.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #16

Can't beat that. Does the sound deepen any as it breaks in? I know it won't sound v8 but I'd like for it to make people wonder what it is when they hear it comin, if you know what i mean lol.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #17
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Rmike View Post
I had a S-10 4.3 with a 40 and later a 50 series flowmaster (single in/duel out). I was asked all the time if the truck had a v-8 in it. And my neighbors heard me before they saw me. It sounded great, but if I get an exhaust system for my Tacoma I want something quieter.
The Chevy V-6 had a different firing order than ours which gave it that beefier harmonic that resembles a V-8
Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Can't beat that. Does the sound deepen any as it breaks in? I know it won't sound v8 but I'd like for it to make people wonder what it is when they hear it comin, if you know what i mean lol.
definitely man.....after a few months, it'll break in and get noticeably deeper. the rumble is awesome!!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #19

Awesome! I noticed where u had said that the duals caused you to have to have your spare in the bed...I should be able to keep my spare right where it is shouldn't I? Because I would like to have the duals. And also...just to be sure that setup with the flowmaster 40s is legal, right?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Awesome! I noticed where u had said that the duals caused you to have to have your spare in the bed...I should be able to keep my spare right where it is shouldn't I? Because I would like to have the duals. And also...just to be sure that setup with the flowmaster 40s is legal, right?
the only reason the with my duals i had to keep the spare in the bed.........the exhaust shop where i got the dual setup was extremely lazy. i've had 3 other exhasut shops tell me that they have ran duals out the back(and behind each rear wheel also) and kept the spare on with the setup.....so yes.......you can keep your spare. go to a few different shops........dont go with any of the shops that say you gotta take out the spare to make the duals fit.....its pure bs!!!

and yeah.......the flowmaster 40 setup is legal.......should have zero problems whatsoever!!!