Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Catalytic Converters (Both) Are Bad...

Old 05-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Big Dawg 45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joey
Big Dawg 45's Tacoma Gallery
Catalytic Converters (Both) Are Bad...

Took my TAC to dealership...cause check engine light was on...They said Both Cat's went out, $2300.00 to replace. However, where I live, we do not need emissions test. Some said don't worry about it, but is it safe? I do not want anything else to Happen to it engine wise...Please Help!!!

Thanks,
Joey
Old 05-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
AlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant futureAlexanderD has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
AlexanderD's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think its bad for the engine. there are these neat emulator things that that you can use instead of yor 2nd o2 sensore so your CE light will go out.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
If it is clogged you will run into issues.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
h_curtis will become famous soon enough
h_curtis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dawg 45 View Post
Took my TAC to dealership...cause check engine light was on...They said Both Cat's went out, $2300.00 to replace. However, where I live, we do not need emissions test. Some said don't worry about it, but is it safe? I do not want anything else to Happen to it engine wise...Please Help!!!

Thanks,
Joey
$2300?????????? That is insane. I would take it to a muffler shop first because there are aftermarket cats that have the sensor inputs. That price iw way out of line. You can search your year and part. Here is an example.

http://www.google.com/products?q=tac...converter&aq=f

I don't hate Obama.

1. He hasn't been in office to do anything yet.
2. Everyone still has their guns unlike what the fear machine wants you to think.
3. Abortion is the same as it has been ever since I was born.
4. Nothing has really changed other than some talk of healthcare.
5. I don't fall for the punch words that people love to through around like liberal and whatever. They mean nothing.
6. I am old enough (44) to know more than little kids.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I paid 86 bucks for an aftermarket cat at the muffler shop and they have given me not a problem the past 20k miles. No light either.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
I paid $500 for a full custom exhaust system on my old vehicle
Old 05-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
JohnDavid is on a distinguished road
JohnDavid's Tacoma Gallery
I had both cats go out on my '00 Tacoma a few years ago. My check engine light was on so I went to the dealership and they told me $900 for each cat then labor on top of that. I told them no way and went about 3 years without replacing them. I finally found exact replacements from NAPA for less than $400 total. I never had another problem with them while I owned the truck.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
My rear O2 sensor was bad throwing the code.
That may be all you have to replace.
Cheaper to start there.
I hear they tend to go around 80K miles.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Way too much money! Muffler shop for sure
Old 05-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
Whitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whitfield's Tacoma Gallery
Few comments:

1 Converters are federal emissions and are covered for 8 yrs / 80k miles http://epa.gov/OMS/consumer/warr95fs.txt

2 Converters generally do not just go bad, usually it is an issue with engine tune (Rich / Lean / or burning oil) to excess that kills them off. If you have been driving around a few months with the check engine light on then depending on your issue you risk killing the cats. I've seen many folks replace the cats for BIG $$$ thinking that was the problem only to burn them up again / because the dead cat was the result not the cause.

3 I'd look for some one on the board with a dead engine. There was a guy on here yesterday swapping a dead 3.4L in Richmond. I'm not gonna tell you to check with him because their is a federal law against buying / selling / installing used converters, but you might ask what he would do.

4 Aftermarket converters will work just fine and are less expensive but they are rarely a good fit. They will fit some better then others depending on your application.

5 Your old converter while bad is still probally worth big $$$. Generally $40 - $150 depending on the size and how bad it is damaged. Where ever you get it fixed KEEP YOUR old converter.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
h_curtis will become famous soon enough
h_curtis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
5 Your old converter while bad is still probally worth big $$$. Generally $40 - $150 depending on the size and how bad it is damaged. Where ever you get it fixed KEEP YOUR old converter.
Yes indeed. Old converters are worth some bucks. That is why some druggies sawzaw them off in the middle of the night.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
Whitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitfield is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Whitfield's Tacoma Gallery
The only best way to keep it is to remove it before you go to the shop. The ones I worked at never charged more if the core was missing or if the converter was gone... But tell them you want to keep your old one and then they will want to charge you...

Generally you can recycle them at most places that recycle aluminium / brass / copper since the converters value is in the exotic metal inside.

~~~~~

and since you post publically your political views. I disagree, While hate isn't how I feel, I do see the national debt rising at record rates, and the dollar declining in value at a similar inverse proportion. I see needless programs and moneys being spent foolishly ~ Not that the opposing canidate would have been a better choice, But govenment needs to change. I think a flat tax and term limits would be a great start towards recovery from political corruption. The kicker for me with this administration is the Helth care bill... I HATE the new healt care bill and think they were foolish to push it thru congress. Unless it is repealed or gutted you will see changes unlike any you have ever seen in your 44 years.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.38ce1f3.html
Most recently ~ With this bill it looks like big business now LEGALLY has the option to dump ALL employer provided healtcare coverage and just pay the government's fines for a 75% cost savings on a BILLION $$ + liability. What corperate fat cat would sit idle and watch his competitors take the lead on saving thier company 75% on a billion + liability. I thought we were promised we could keep our current provider.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Yamaha + Kawasaki!
Yamasaki is on a distinguished road

Yamasaki's Tacoma Gallery
The next time you get a check engine light, I would recommend that you got to an Autozone or Kragen (Checkers/Shucks/whatever they call it in your neck of the woods). You can borrow an OBD reader and discover for yourself what codes the engine is throwing. Write them down then look them up on the internet. Best of all its free! I bet the dealer visit cost you $70 or so to diagnose.

If indeed your cats are bad, they could get clogged and cause alot of issues with the engine. I would recommend going to an aftermarket muffler shop and having them weld a couple new ones on and maybe a new exhaust while they are down there. Will cost you 10% of the price. Do not go OEM on cat's if they are going to cost you that much.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:23 AM   #14
Tiki Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Tiki Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Im trying to get this thread going again because i need some help,
1.how can i tell if the 02 sensor is whats bad or the cat itself?
2. Ive heard that sometimes just cleaning the cat in soap and water will fix the problem(the engine light will go in if the cat is running any less than 100%)
Old 09-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #16
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Tacoma View Post
Im trying to get this thread going again because i need some help,
1.how can i tell if the 02 sensor is whats bad or the cat itself?
2. Ive heard that sometimes just cleaning the cat in soap and water will fix the problem(the engine light will go in if the cat is running any less than 100%)
The only way you can properly diagnose which is bad, other than throwing parts at it, is to find someone who has a full scan tool. Not the little ones that just read codes, but ones that give you live data streams. Then you can perform a few test drives to determine if you have a bad O2 sensor (or 2 sensors, etc) or if the catalytic converter is truly damaged. On the Tacoma the cat has to reach below 80% efficiency before it typically sets a code. As has been mentioned in some of the much older posts, you need the THEN determine if there is anything wrong with the engine to damage the cat, as usually a cat will last the lifetime of your truck, as long as there are no engine issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota243 View Post
sounds like its time for long tubes and an o2 simulator to me
I personally and professionally recommend against removing a catalytic converter and using an O2 simulator. For one, it is illegal in ALL 50 states by federal law. For another, a simulator is just that: a FAKE sensor. If there really is a problem in the exhaust stream, the computer will not know this, and will not be able to compensate for a problem. End result could be major engine damage if the problem continues to be missed.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #17
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
i was unaware that the 02 sensors did anything other than monitor the cats, and thought that if u didnt have cats, a simulator would be fine to tell the ecu that the cats were fine. i didnt realize that they were a crucial parts of the engine monitoring system. with that said, theyre are several ppl running long tubes (that cant be ran with cats to the best of my knowledge) that are F/I.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:44 AM   #18
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
The O2 sensors before the cat monitor the A/F ratio of the engine, and the post sensors are used to monitor efficiency of the cat, yes. However without a cat, there is no backpressure at all just after the front O2 sensor, and there are some expert articles I have read that state that without that backpressure, it is possible for the engine monitoring O2 sensor to read erratic, or incorrectly. I will admit that I have not seen any scientific PROOF, as I haven't found an article that shows any proof, it is speculation. Regardless though, it IS still a federal law that you cannot remove the catalytic converter, even on your own vehicle, if it came equipped from the factory with one. Sure people do it all the time, and have probably never been in trouble, but that doesn't make it legal.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:00 AM   #19
wcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the roughwcp0611 is a jewel in the rough
wcp0611's Tacoma Gallery
I have a for sale thread over on TTORA for front and back cats for 200.00. Not pimping my sh#t but if you end up testing your cat/cats and realize you need them, hit me up for a deal. May have your O2 sensors as well, but I'll have to look.