Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

front strut lower bushing replacement

Old 05-07-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
nstaco is on a distinguished road
nstaco's Tacoma Gallery
front strut lower bushing replacement

In preparation for adding a little lift i was looking closely and measuring wheel well heights on my recently purchased 04. I have noticed that the lower bushings in the front struts are falling apart allowing some sag and causing a little clunking noise over bumps( more on one side than the other). Otherwise the struts are fine. Dealer says you can not buy just bushings-have to buy new struts. Has Anybody out there solved this problem? are there some other type of bushing that will work in there?

thanx
Old 05-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
exminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tony
exminnesotaboy's Tacoma Gallery
Energy Suspension has an array of replacement bushings depending on the dimensions:

http://www.energysuspension.com/prod...-Bushings.html
Old 05-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
I bought those bushings from my toyota dealership about 2 years ago, not real sure why they wouldn't sell them now.... Be prepared with a press and a torch they are hard to get out!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
nstaco's Tacoma Gallery
bushings

You say you got those bushings from dealer 2 weeks ago-do you still have the invoice so as to share the part numbers? might be the only way to wake up my dealer here.

thanx

sorry- just realized you said 2 years ago-not 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
I actually bought them 2 years ago, you should try calling another dealership. Hey I just noticed that toytec has a set for $20. Heres the link http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 05-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
nstaco's Tacoma Gallery
bushings

thanx for the info but i believe these are for the top of the front struts on the end of the shaft. what i need are on the bottom of the front struts where they bolt horizontally to the lower control arm.

thanx
Old 05-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter160 View Post
I actually bought them 2 years ago, you should try calling another dealership. Hey I just noticed that toytec has a set for $20. Heres the link http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
I have been looking for these forever and couldn't find them except at the dealer. They wanted 85 plus shipping.

OP: you can go online to a Toyota dealership and find their online catalog and getthe part numbers. That's what I did. Let me know, I can try and get those part numbers for you.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
nstaco's Tacoma Gallery
lower strur bushings

based on the fact that other members said they got them at their dealer-I went back to mine and asked him to try again. This time he put in my vehicle info but left out the vin # and voila- the parts breakdown showed the bushings seperately with a part #. He then went back and put in my vin and the breakdown does not show the bushings seperately-strut only.

strange but true- the dealer parts guy said he has seen this happen a few times before. sometimes you are better off to not have the vin#

bushings were not cheap (25.00 cdn each)but still way less than new struts.

They arrived and i have since installed them.-everything ie right with the world again.

NOTE- replacing these bushings if badly worn will lift the front of the truck almost an inch.

thanx for the help
Old 05-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #9

Law Enforcement:
Hey did you have any problems getting the old ones out?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
shift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to behold
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
If I was going to pull the strut out I would replace the entire strut not just the bushing. If the bush is worn the strut is not far behind it. I just did mine this weekend and it was a total pain in the balls so I wouldn't want to pull that strut out and disassemble any more than I had too.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #11

Law Enforcement:
Yea I replace the bushings on my old tacoma and it was a pain, we had to heat the bushing and use a press to get them out.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:19 AM   #12
nstaco's Tacoma Gallery
bushings removal

Mine were so badly worn that the metal insert in the center pretty much fell out upon removal. I then used a hacksaw with blade in throught the middle of the old bushing to cut throught the old metal outer ring of the bushing. Once the old bushing has the outer ring cut , you can use a hammer and a chisel to punch it out pretty easy.

then you have to press new ones in of course.

thanx
Old 08-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
drshirk is on a distinguished road
drshirk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter160 View Post
Yea I replace the bushings on my old tacoma and it was a pain, we had to heat the bushing and use a press to get them out.
what kind of press did you use? I am having a heck of time getting the bolt out of the lower strut.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #14

Law Enforcement:
Hmm I didnt have a problem with the bolt, I had to press the bushing its self out...
Old 08-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
drshirk is on a distinguished road
drshirk's Tacoma Gallery
My bolt turns when I use a socket on it but it looks like the bushing sleeve is turning too. I tried banging it out with a heavy hammer but I can't for the life of me get the bolt out. I gave up and I am going to take it to a garage and let someone else try.