Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do the 03 Tacoma's have a Clear Coat on the factory Paint...?

Old 05-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
Do the 03 Tacoma's have a Clear Coat on the factory Paint...?

While doing some 4 wheeling trying to get to good fishing spots, I got some light scratches from small brush, branches, etc. I can't tell if my 2003 has a Clear Coat or not. If I know, I'll be able to take care of them.

Oh yeah, factory paint. Here's the truck. Thanks...

Old 05-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Yamaha + Kawasaki!
Yamasaki is on a distinguished road

Yamasaki's Tacoma Gallery
All modern paints are dual stage (clearcoated) with the exception of very few vehicles.\

Many single stage paints are used on fleet vehicles and most of the ones I saw (worked as an insurance estimator for 3 years) were white.

I believe some white Tundras are single stage but your truck most definetly is clearcoated.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome color choice! I got the same year, same color, and got some scratches on my door. I used rubbing compound to get them out, but have not buffed it yet to polish it. There is a clear coat, so whatever you use must be compatible. Use something like rubbing compound to cut the paint and get the scratches out, then buff it shiny and wax. Like new.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
geezer55 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Engineering
Name: Mike
geezer55's Tacoma Gallery
Sometimes rubbing compound can be too aggressive for surface scratches, it all depends on how deep yours are. If they haven't reached the primer a good cleaner (slight cut) is in order. I purchased the Maguire system a few years back and have been extremely happy with the results. There are several products in their line from real aggressive to straight wax. I use their Dual Action cleaner #83 first then Speed Glaze #80 and finish with a coat of Tech wax. Works great on all colors but on any dark paint it will make it look almost liquid (wet all the time). I got the orbital sander/polisher,yellow pads and products from autodetailingsolutions . It all can be applied by hand but the machine makes it alot easier, it's still a labor intensive job but imo well worth it. Normally to do a vehicle the size of our trucks plan on several hours.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, Yeah, the scracthes aren't bad but just enough to bother me. I also have an orbital polisher.

I asked about the clear coat because my 2000 Tacoma did NOT have a clear coat. But my 2003 in the picture looks like it does. Just wasn't sure.