Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Flashing CEL

Old 05-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Flashing CEL

I did some wheelin this weekend (bad idea after a solid week of rain), didn't break anything but my Hellas, but got muddy as hell. So, I took my truck to the car wash today to do some high pressure mud removal. Up until this point, everything was good, truck was running fine. I took care of the outside, then the undercarriage, followed finally by under the hood. I've been through this process countless times before without issue. After the carwash today, My truck is idling rough, missing, running like shit, and I'm getting a flashing CEL. Didn't take on any water, oil doesn't appear to be tainted, electrical system seems to be operating fine. Anyone got any ideas or experience this kind of thing?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
I did some wheelin this weekend (bad idea after a solid week of rain), didn't break anything but my Hellas, but got muddy as hell. So, I took my truck to the car wash today to do some high pressure mud removal. Up until this point, everything was good, truck was running fine. I took care of the outside, then the undercarriage, followed finally by under the hood. I've been through this process countless times before without issue. After the carwash today, My truck is idling rough, missing, running like shit, and I'm getting a flashing CEL. Didn't take on any water, oil doesn't appear to be tainted, electrical system seems to be operating fine. Anyone got any ideas or experience this kind of thing?
you think maybe one of your spark plugs may have cracked or one of the coil packs got wet and maybe shorted out(you do have coil packs on that model i assume....if not, maybe the distributor got cracked somehow????

to me, it definitely sounds like a sensor or something else electrical.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you got some water causeing a problem. Did you get the code from the CEL? If so, what is it. If not, get it.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I do have the coil packs. It getting wet is definately a possibility since I had no problem prior to spraying the engine compartment. Any idea if that is something that may correct itself after drying or not?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Sounds like you got some water causeing a problem. Did you get the code from the CEL? If so, what is it. If not, get it.
No, not yet. this just happened tonight. I won't be able to get a code til tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
No, not yet. this just happened tonight. I won't be able to get a code til tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.
When you get it, let me know what it is. It way go away when the water dries.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I do have the coil packs. It getting wet is definately a possibility since I had no problem prior to spraying the engine compartment. Any idea if that is something that may correct itself after drying or not?
it will probably go away when it dries up, sounds like its confusing the hell outta the computer.. you can unplug the coil packs a little while to help with the drying process, and there is a spray for electrical connections,i think its called wire dryer or something that you can get from autozone that may help.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
When you get it, let me know what it is. It way go away when the water dries.
I'll let you know. I have a Haynes manual, but without the code, it doesn't help much. Hopefully it clears up on it's own.....time will tell, I guess.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #9

I'm so Damned sick of mud.....which there were some other wheelin options in my area.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm so Damned sick of mud.....which there were some other wheelin options in my area.
muddin is fun as hell.......the cleanup and any problems related to it......not so much.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
muddin is fun as hell.......the cleanup and any problems related to it......not so much.
Usually I would agree, but Friday night I was defeated by mud. It was frustrating. I'll post some pics up tomorrow night. Too tired to deal with it now.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Usually I would agree, but Friday night I was defeated by mud. It was frustrating. I'll post some pics up tomorrow night. Too tired to deal with it now.
yeah, i hear ya. i'll be looking for pics tomorrow! let us know if the problem with the tacoma clears up on its own.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #13

I'll keep ya posted.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #14
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Flashing CELS generally indicate a slight misfire. My guess is when you pressure washed under the hood some of the high pressure water got in somewhere deep, probably a coil pack connector.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #15
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Hi T4life, I finally got time to visit TW, bummer about your truck. Hope you wake up to find everything ok with it (dried out).
Mud wheelins better n no wheelin.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #16

Hey everyone. All is well. About 3/4 of my way to work this morning, everything cleared up. Just some moisture I guess. (sigh of relief)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoe View Post
Hi T4life, I finally got time to visit TW, bummer about your truck. Hope you wake up to find everything ok with it (dried out).
Mud wheelins better n no wheelin.
Yeah, mud wheelin is fun. This was just a particularly rough night. Truck is trashed with mud, the lenses on my Hellas both cracked, I have scratches down to the primer on one side of the truck, plus, I spent more time stuck than moving. I'll get over it and be out there slingin mud again soon enough.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Hey everyone. All is well. About 3/4 of my way to work this morning, everything cleared up. Just some moisture I guess. (sigh of relief)

Yeah, mud wheelin is fun. This was just a particularly rough night. Truck is trashed with mud, the lenses on my Hellas both cracked, I have scratches down to the primer on one side of the truck, plus, I spent more time stuck than moving. I'll get over it and be out there slingin mud again soon enough.
Glad to hear everything is ok, and your not a quitter!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Glad to hear everything is ok, and your not a quitter!
Thanks! I'm working on getting some pictures up right now.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #19
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
No CEL doesn't mean you don't have a code. Get the code(s) pulled because they still may be stored in the computer. Hope the truck is OK though.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
No CEL doesn't mean you don't have a code. Get the code(s) pulled because they still may be stored in the computer. Hope the truck is OK though.
I still have a CEL. I have for almost a year now (on and off). My throttle position sensor and my o2 sensor set it off periodically. The flashing CEL is what stopped and it stopped when the engine started running right again. I routinely get the codes checked to make sure there isn't anything new.