Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange Sounds when driving

Old 05-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Richard
03redtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Strange Sounds when driving

Hey everyone. I need a little help. I have an 03 Taco, 4dr,3.4l, automatic. I have been noticing a metal tapping sound when driving. I comes and goes. It sounds like an exhaust heat sheild hitting the pipe. But i checked all of that and nothing. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be????? Please help
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Cat is probably going bad. Any check engine light?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future

Yeah but it is for the o2 before the cat. But that does make sense. I would hate to replace it.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03redtaco View Post
Yeah but it is for the o2 before the cat. But that does make sense. I would hate to replace it.
Yeah, the OEM ones are crazy expensive. Just get a high flow if that ends up being the problem.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Largest Member.....huhuh
rmarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant future

EMS: Emergency room RN
Name: Roger
rmarqu2's Tacoma Gallery
I had a bent dust shield in my front right wheel after some intense offroading. It basically sounded like it was coming from the wheel well and it had a "thin-metal-like" grinding/clicking/knocking/screeching sound. I don't know if that helps but i know how frustrating it can be not knowing what's wrong when you hear an odd noise. Hope you figure it out and it's a cheap repair!!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #6

Thanks. I will have to check that also. I am not sure if it would be the dust cover or not. I was on a trip to Florida and on the way back on the interstate it started. Like i said it just comes and goes. A guy i work with said that the was hearing the same noise and he changed his o2 and it stopped. Think it could be the o2? Just dont seem right.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure. I wouldnt think a bad o2 would make noise, but I would for sure change both sensor's. You dont want to just change one. bc they work together to keep you trucks A/F ratios right.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #8

Well it took some time but I think I finally figured out what the noise was. I think that its a universal joint. We put the truck up on jack stands and held the breaks and pressed the gas at the same time to put some strain on the drivetrain. It would not do it if i just pressed the gas. I sure hope that this is the problem. The other u joints have been replaced. Not sure if the on going bad is orig to the truck or not. There are no grease fitting on it or rings. Will pick one up tomorrow from the local parts store and see if that solves the problem.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm chiming in here a little late but does the sound you describe maybe sound like a piece of wire wrapped around the drive shaft when you take off from a stop ? If so, smart money says its a U joint...Good luck ...
Old 06-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #10

Well it diddnt do it but at certian speeds, but it did sound like a wire. I pulled th old u-joint apart and the needle bearings on one side were all medded up. I was going to put it back togeather to night but the guy at advanced gave me the wrong u-joint. didnt start working on it till about 930 this evening.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
IFS is the new solid axle
mrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tanner
mrbeggins's Tacoma Gallery
Im going to dig this thread out of the graves and ask...did you ever find out what that faint noise was? It sounds like I am having the same issues. The noise goes away when brakes are applied, which means load in the drive train. Did you ever replace the carrier bearing as well?

Thanks