Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Drive shaft vibration? Help! - 1995.5 Tacoma w/ 2" lift

Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco75 View Post
Chris man, you must have way better toys than I do! Good idea though.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #22
Rosco75 is on a distinguished road
Rosco75's Tacoma Gallery
I had a subtle clunk in mine when the carrier went. That was when I decided to check those ujoints. When the drive line was engaged it clunked just like a u joint. So it could be either. Good part is neither are hard or expensive fixes. If you run through it you might find it all needs a tweak. Good to run some ideas back and forth on here though!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #23
02TACO1984 is on a distinguished road

02TACO1984's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

your right rosco it could all need to be checked and replaced! good call
Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #24
jamescamp11 is on a distinguished road

jamescamp11's Tacoma Gallery
Update and funny story

So I picked up my truck from the Toyota dealership yesterday and my truck passed the frame inspection (bummer - I would have liked the $$ and a new Taco). While my truck was there I had asked them to check into the vibration issue. They had some pretty interesting things to tell me but let me preface this a little: 3 weeks ago one of the right rear suspension leaflets snapped on me so I took it over to les schwab to get it fixed. Since they were going to replace the entire leaflet system on both sides I went ahead and had them do the shocks as well. I get the truck back and noticed that the vibration issue was actually a little worse with the new suspension compared to the old. Hence this thread, and so on but back to yesterday: I pick up my truck from the Toyota dealership and the service guy said to me a big reason for the intense vibration was due to the angle of the driveline. No shit. Here's the funny part: The new leaflets that were installed by les schwab were on the wrong sides AND the 2 inch blocks (for the lift I had put on years ago) were flipped upside down making the already tweaked angle from the lift even worse - causing the already annoying vibration even worse. Solution (according to Toyota): Start by having Les Schwab re-install the suspension correctly to eliminate the vibration issue. If that doesn't help: Time to change out the carrier bearing (which he noticed was a little "loose"). If that doesnt work: Purchase a custom driveline that is a little longer to compensate for the lift. Suspension re-install is this Saturday. Hope this will help, if not, I think I will get the carrier bearing fixed as well.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #25
Rosco75's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man that is interesting. I didn`t think it was possible to have leafs on wrong sides! Is it?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #26

The Toyota guy said that the leafs have labels on them that specify which side of the truck they are to be installed. Of course, all this information is new to me and I am actually not really that convinced that it will matter in terms of the vibration. The blocks definetely need to be flipped back over to the correct side. I have a feeling that this will end up being a situation where I will replace the carrier bearing. There is a very subtle 'clunk' when engaging in any gear starting from 0mph. I think the drive-shaft is moving around a little too much.

You guys have been awesome and I appreciate all the help. I will keep you all posted as I do each fix. Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #27
Rosco75's Tacoma Gallery
I will be looking forward to hearing the end of this mystery vibe! I must have lucked out when I did my lift. Everything working fine and I was totally unaware that the leafs had to be side specific.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #28

I am happy to announce that the vibration is gone. J Quick recap:
-Subtle vibration ever since the original installation of the +2” lift (A friend and I installed lift; 1998; barely noticeable and was actually told that this was “normal” so I did not have a reason to take it in to be looked at).
-Right rear leaf (one of them) snapped on me 3 weeks ago and had Les Schwab replace both rear sets including the shocks.
-Les Schwab replaces leafs/shocks and vibration gets drastically worse.
-Join “Tacomaworld” because I was a frustrated Tacoma owner that wanted answers without spending all my hard earned dough.
-Take truck in for the frame (rust recall) inspection at the Toyota dealership and also mention the vibration issue. The service manager informs me that the rear leafs and lift blocks were installed incorrectly. Rear leafs needed to be switched (right side to left, left side to right) AND the lift blocks needed to not only be switched (right to left and left to right) but they needed to be rotated 180 degrees due to the fact that the blocks have a slight angle to them to maintain the correct pinion angle to prevent this drive shaft vibration.
-Back to Les Schwab for the Correction/re-installation of the suspension/lift blocks. (Vibration barely noticeable at this point; a little better than how it was after the original installation of the lift)
-Back to Toyota for questions and they said that since I had been driving with the previous vibration for so long it did a bit of a number on the carrier bearing.
-Carrier bearing replaced @ Toyota dealership.
Vibration gone!
I want to thank you guys for all the help. Now I can drive with a cup of coffee between 25-30mph without it splattering all over my lap.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #29
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Good to hear!