Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2002 Toyota Tacoma mod?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
DustinSK will become famous soon enoughDustinSK will become famous soon enough
DustinSK's Tacoma Gallery
2002 Toyota Tacoma mod?

Hey guys, I have a v6 extended cab tacoma. Its a 2002. I was just wondering if there is any cheap mods? My friend said he could straight pipe it for me? Should I do that? Would you reccomend straight piping it? Also any other cheap mods. Its a 2wd...Thanks!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
deckplate mod and do not straight pipe it. It will sound terrible and you will loose performance.

But yeah, do a search for the deckplate mod and welcome to TW!
Old 05-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Thanks for the reply...If its really easy and I dont mind the power loss can I try it and put it back? Also about the deckplate mod. Is this a good website http://www.trdoffroad.com/articles/deckplate/index.php ? At the bottom it says u can just remove 2 silencers...Can I do that without the deckplate?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
You can unbolt the exhaust after the cat converter to hear it straight from there. I'll warn you it sounds like a weed wacker and everyone looks at you for the wrong reasons. If your friend can straight pipe an exhaust, surely he can weld in a flowmaster 40 muffler. They are pretty reasonable and sound decent.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Yeah we did it, it took like 10 mins and its only 2 screws...It sounds cool when u start it but then when you go it sounds like a buggy or trophy truck or something....Is there anything else I can do for very cheap? Im still confused on the deckplate mod?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
If by two silencers you're referring to the ones on the air pipe between the filter box and throttle body, don't just remove them. You'll create two major air intakes that will suck unfiltered air into the engine.

You can tape them off though, if you want a nice sound when you put your foot into it.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
deck plate mod (not much to it)

http://www.nwtoys.com/tech/deckplate
Old 05-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Yeah the two in the engine area. and yeah it said it might bring in warm air from the engine so u have to tape it off which you said...But thanks for that link I think Ill try the deckplate mod tomorro!! What advantages does the deckplate bring? any negatives?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
^ itll give ya better airflow with the deck plate off thus more power, works on the same basic principle as say a K&N air intake.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
the good thing about the deckplate mod is that you can put the plate back in when wheelin so to not suck in water,dust or anything like that
Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
the negatives being that you may throw a CEL(check engine light) but usually resetting the ecu by unhookin the battery will fix ya up
Old 05-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
OOOOk. So if im ever off roading take it out? Also will it change the sound, noticebly?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
the deckplate cover is removable so when offroading,put it back in. yah the sound will be noticeably louder
Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #14
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
DustinSK, you're new here so I'll give you a heads-up. You're gonna get seriously chastised if you don't use the search function before you ask about the same thing repeatedly. Search for "deck plate mod" or "deckplate mod".
Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
^ hahaha. i dont mind helpin the newbs, its all good
Old 05-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #16

It's why we're all here! Just thought I'd try and spare him the pain.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #17
ahha. Alright, Thanks for all the help! Ill use the SEARCH button next time! hah. And it doesnt matter my light is already on! hah
Old 05-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #18
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
its already on? do ya know why? maybe we can help
Old 05-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #19
Yeah Its already on. I have 120xxx miles. I went to the gym one day and on the way home it just turned on...no idea why. Should I just reset the battery? I tried getting a new gas cap but it didnt help!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #20
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I bet you its the good old P0420 code......
but yeah man, get the code pulled and come back to us, maybe we can help ya find out the problem.