Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best CB Mount for 2003 4x4 Auto DoubleCab?

Old 05-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Arizona Native
RioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really nice

RioNovo's Tacoma Gallery
Best CB Mount for 2003 4x4 Auto DoubleCab?

I had an easy time with my CB in the '98 4x4 ExtendedCab that I recently sold, being able to simply set the unit in between the front seats with its butt end against the consul. However coming up with a satisfactory CB mount solution for the '03 4x4 DoubleCab that I now have is not quite so simple a chore.

The radio I'm running is a full size Courier Galaxy AM/SSB unit measuring 10" in length x 8.5" in width x 2.5" deep. I have the stock bracket with the radio and can mount it sideways against the consul on the passenger side of the vehicle with all the controls in easy reach, but that would mean drilling holes in places I'm not sure I really want to drill holes!

Anyone who has mounted a similar size CB in a DoubleCab Gen1 Tacoma, with any suggestions on how to approach this task without doing damage to the look and feel of the truck, is someone I'd like to hear back from! If you have photos to share that would be better yet, and when I'm done I'll do the same for the group.

Thanks for any help or suggestions that may be offered.

RioN
Old 05-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you should consider selling it an getting a Cobra 75 as a replacement. Then all you really need is a place for your mic.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Arizona Native
RioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really nice

RioNovo's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate the suggestion, and would probably go with a smaller hand held all in one unit like the Cobra 75 if it were capable of extra channel SSB operation like my Courier Galaxys. Since much of what I do with CB is on single sideband, not having that capability in my truck would not be good!

Besides, my classic Taiwan made 1978 Courier Galaxy (actually I have an identical pair of these plus a Magnum Delta Force that I use as a base station) would feel abandoned if I were to turn one or the other out to pasture now! They have served faithfully for 30 years and should do so for another 30 the Lord willing - without having to pay any monthly fees to anyone for their use! So I will come up with a good mounting system, and will share what I end up doing with whomever may express an interest!
Old 05-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
dirtroader is on a distinguished road
dirtroader's Tacoma Gallery
mounting

3M mounting tape does a god job even on a big cb like a 29
Old 05-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Do what I did with my scanner...that is make a triangle mount for the radio itself so that it faces upward and rests ON the console OVER the rear two cupholders and you can run your power, speaker, and coax underneath console up to back of radio.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Arizona Native

RioNovo's Tacoma Gallery
The double sided 3M tape suggestion might work well for some radios. In this case however, since I've there's a coating of Armor All on the interior surfaces, double sided tape simply won't stick. Besides this radio is too heavy for double sided tape even if it would stick, especially off road out here in the desert.

While the triangle mount suggestion over the cup holders is a good idea and something that could work, it's not what I've ended up doing.

Since I have the original mounting bracket for my Courier Galaxy, I ended up cutting 1" long standoffs from thin wall steel tubing and mounting the bracket to the passenger side of the center console creating enough separation to keep the radio from being in the way of the shifter.

I then put a Vanco super heavy duty magnet antenna mount centered on the roof just forward of the overhead brake light, and on top of that a Vanco tunable heavy duty base load antenna with a flexible steel whip. Not wanting to drill holes in the cabin I routed the antenna lead across to the rear passenger side door, down to the the kick panels, and under those all the way forward to the radio.

The antenna is a solid 1.2:1 SWR across the band, and the radio is super quiet and sounds great both on AM and SSB. The mount is solid enough to stand up to whatever it may encounter, and the radio tight enough against the console to offer the passenger more than sufficient room in which to ride in comfort.

RioN
Old 05-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Glad it worked out for ya Rio! That's a fantastic SWR match especially across the spectrum. I never could do that so I would tune to match my most-used channels. I have a suggestion about the coax: since you have a shell, if you want to be more tidy you could run it straight back, down the back of the cab, into the frame (frame has access holes) up the frame to the rubber sealed access hole right under the driver seat (as you look in from the driver door it's under the carpet right behind the front mountpoint of the seat runnerrail). this way you only see the coax from the antenna base to the end of the cab roof
Old 05-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, Ridge! Not to thread jack, but, I have a short wave radio that I cant receive anything on. I was told that I need an Antenna. Its a Radio SHack model # DX-390. It has a jake for an antenna on the side, but it looks like a headphone jack. Any idea what kind of antenna I need?
Old 05-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #9

Hey Chris if you dont have the proper ANT plug to go into that jack you can just connect an antenna right to the telescoping whip (still there right?) That's a fine little SW reciever man! Radio Shack used to make quality radios with nice sensitivity. What do you have for antennas laying around there?
Old 05-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Hey Chris if you dont have the proper ANT plug to go into that jack you can just connect an antenna right to the telescoping whip (still there right?) That's a fine little SW reciever man! Radio Shack used to make quality radios with nice sensitivity. What do you have for antennas laying around there?
I have some bailing wire at the ready! and a 100 ft. extension cord..........and..........a satilite dish............and ....OOOOOO....wait........Molly wouldnt work, would she?
Old 05-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #11

Yeah you can hook one end up to her collar and have her run to the end of the yard
Old 05-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Yeah you can hook one end up to her collar and have her run to the end of the yard
LOL, Im gonna try the bailing wire. Any idea what kind of antenna I could buy if that doesnt work?
Old 05-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #13

Let's see SW will run on anything. Best bet is 50-80ft of copper wire connected at 1 end. the bail wire should be outside and be at least 25' cause its thicker. You can even run that bad boy on a CB antenna as long as its outside and has a good ground. You got any ham radio stores by you? That's the last place now you'll find a serious SW antenna kit. Or the net>
Old 05-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Let's see SW will run on anything. Best bet is 50-80ft of copper wire connected at 1 end. the bail wire should be outside and be at least 25' cause its thicker. You can even run that bad boy on a CB antenna as long as its outside and has a good ground. You got any ham radio stores by you? That's the last place now you'll find a serious SW antenna kit. Or the net>
I'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #15

Cool- if ya want to try right now just connect a wire to the plate screw on an electrical outlet and run it to the telescoping antenna-you should pull in stuff with that
Old 05-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Cool- if ya want to try right now just connect a wire to the plate screw on an electrical outlet and run it to the telescoping antenna-you should pull in stuff with that
Ok. I tried with 50 ft. of wire and put it on my roof. ( my wife is giveing me some weird looks) No go. I then stuck it in my outlet which promptly blew the breaker for the kitchen. Interesting, as I was in the living room. Molly ran down the hall, and I think I smell burning hair. ( just kidding about the burning hair, but Im a little shaken)

I saw that you said "plate screw". Im an idiot.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #17

DAMMMM CHRIS!!!! WADDA YA DOING??? Youre joking right? RIGHT?
Old 05-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #18

Quote:
DAMMMM CHRIS!!!! WADDA YA DOING??? Youre joking right? RIGHT?
I just mis read your post. I know trucks, but not electronics.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #19

Glad youre OK and everythings safe including that outlet?? I would double chek it.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #20
dirtroader is on a distinguished road
dirtroader's Tacoma Gallery
cb mount

lets see a pic of that triangle mount