1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake line help please

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Whitfield, May 19, 2010.

1. May 19, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    Whitfield

Whitfield [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Selling my 96 Tacoma to fund the FJ80 build up.
    Making a double flare on OEM brake lines...

My Tacoma frame legnth rear axle metal brake line got damaged by the kid running the frame machine. The one on my new frame got damaged by the other kid plucking the tranny and t-case with a track hoe.

I'm working on splicing my old line and need to make a double flare on my OEM brake lines.

My tool:

http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticles/0912st_double_flaring_tool_of_the_month/index.html

[​IMG]

The problem I have is that the die (3/16") does not grab the coated metric line very well. Upon compression the coated line slip thru the jaw of the die. Tighten the jaw until the 2 sides of the die are tight together and then it slipped again. After the 3rd strike I mamaged to brake the tit off of the bubble flare die in the brake line....

So I'm out ~ ~ ~

Batter up....

Advance Auto parts ~ didn't have anything even close.
    THey had 3/16" SAE line and fittings and then they had some metric with a bubble flare (Looked european ??? .

I'm temp to do 1 of 2 things unless I can get a better option.

1. adapt to SAE and make an entire new rear line.

2. try the metric bubble flare line and cut the bubble off and remake it as a double flare ~ but then I still neeed to double flare my OEM coated line to splice that piece in.

My OE line is broken 4" behind the front block (Drivers side behind the strut tower. I have an OEM double female brake line coupler off of a Toyota MR-2.

2. May 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    Whitfield

Whitfield [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Selling my 96 Tacoma to fund the FJ80 build up.
    Shop I wrenched for says the NEW metric brake line flare tool is a must.

I hope to pick it up and give it a try soon. ~ Unfortunatly I'm stuk working 4pm to 8am so tomorrow isn't looking good.

Products Discussed in

To Top