Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tailgate hinge issues

Old 05-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Montanaman is on a distinguished road
Montanaman's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate hinge issues

Hey guys, newbie here. I just ordered a new tailgate shell for my taco as my last was almost bent in half from years of motorbikes, 4 wheelers and such. I got shell from autopartswholesale online primed and ready to be painted. However, after gutting my tailgate I was unable to remove the bottom hinges that bolt directly to the truck from the tailgate. The bolt that holds it to the truck came out no prob, but I cannot get the hinge of the tailgate and stripped the star nuts out.

Obviously the hinges are not on the new shell and I have looked everywhere for just the hinges, as that is all I need to finish the job. Any ideas as where I can order them? I imagine the dealer would have them somewhere, but I dont feel like seeling my firstborn to get em.

Thanks fellas
Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Junkyard?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
I think I'd just drill out the old bolts personally.

You're going to have to get new screws anyway since you stripped it. The screws are tapered with built in locking (and really difficult to remove - must have the right sized torque wrench with either a cheater bar or a good hammer).

A site like http://www.toyotapartszone.com/ will get you what you need, although it wont be any cheaper than just going to the dealer directly. I have had to get a few items from here that the dealer has told me no on though.

If the piece is the same with all models and years (should be), you're looking at the following part numbers for the hinge pieces. 66110‑89108, 66120‑89102. About $25-30 each.

The screws/bolts (90149‑80020) look to only be about $1 each.

But again, since the original hinges are still good, drill out the screws on the original tailgate and save yourself the money. Then go visit the dealer and buy your 4 new screws.