Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rack and Pinion Problems

Old 03-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Jim Mann has a spectacular aura aboutJim Mann has a spectacular aura aboutJim Mann has a spectacular aura about
Jim Mann's Tacoma Gallery
Rack and Pinion Problems

The service facility where I take my 96 Tacoma 4WD EXT Cab says that my rack and pinion has worn out bushings, and that the whole thing has to be replaced. I do trust these guys, they are some of my customers, and have known them for a few dollars. They have done excellent work on several other vehicles, as well as this truck. Have any of you had to replace this before? 160,000 miles is not a lot, however, the truck is worth fixing and keeping. I have too much in it to bail out now. Jim
Old 03-09-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
get someone else to look at it also
Old 03-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
a second opinion won't hurt, just don't let them know.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
yotaman is on a distinguished road
yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Does the steering have loose play in it. After 160K miles, they probably are worn.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Jim Mann has a spectacular aura aboutJim Mann has a spectacular aura aboutJim Mann has a spectacular aura about
Jim Mann's Tacoma Gallery
Second opinion confirms, worn out bushings. The truck wanders on the road, constant correction required. Nothing major yet, but this has been going on for a month now and is getting worse. They will operate on Monday
Old 05-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
abu-guru is on a distinguished road
abu-guru's Tacoma Gallery
You can just replace the bushings. Senergy/energy? Makes a bushing kit for $20.00 My 03 Taco has a loose bushing already
Old 05-12-2007, 05:00 AM   #7
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK is on a distinguished road
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BrianPK
i have this same problem... the dealership i bought the truck from said i had worn out bushings and something about a reman-link...

519 dollar part

anyone know where i can get the entire kit for cheaper?
Old 05-12-2007, 06:20 AM   #8
abu-guru is on a distinguished road
abu-guru's Tacoma Gallery
Energy suspension makes them as well as new bushings for the link arm. The dealers are a joke and just want to replace the entire rack.

Mine are wore with only 44000 mi and this is a common problem. It's time to start complaining to toyota and the BBB and demand a recall.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Rico is on a distinguished road

Rico's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2000 Tacoma w/ 4WD and my bushings are definitely worn out. I suspended one wheel in the air and was able to move the wheel from left to right with to much play. You can actually see the entire rack pinion move. The main rubber Grommet and the rubber bushings are very loose and cracking. The problem I have is ONLY when I apply brakes while driving at speeds over 30 MPH then the front and starts shacking violently.

I hope the energy suspension parts fix the problem.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
You can get Energy Suspension poly replacement bushings from Wheeler's Offroad. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacorackbushkit.htm and here is a DIY for the bushing replacements: http://parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/k...ckbushings.htm
Old 06-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #12
Rico is on a distinguished road

Rico's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
You can get Energy Suspension poly replacement bushings from Wheeler's Offroad. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacorackbushkit.htm and here is a DIY for the bushing replacements: http://parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/k...ckbushings.htm
Huminoid...Thanks for the links man! You just made life so much easer for me. Know I should be able to fix this in about an hour or two while sipping on a beer
Old 06-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Glad I could help!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #14
bite me

Forgot to add that since you're down there, you should replace the sway bar bushings as well, you too can purchase those from Wheeler's (and no I don't work for them or get any compensation from them).

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoswaykit.htm
Old 07-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
I have an 2004 and I had the same problem. I had a 1995 and there was a recall back in the day. I think it covered all tacomas 1995 to 2004 but you know how it goes they ran my vin and said mine wasent covered so I had to have the bushings replaced at 36,000 miles I think the rack and pinion just is weak I know for a fact the whole system is like 1,400 to replace so fix the bushings before it gets bad and you have to replace it all..
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
TacomaTank is on a distinguished road
TacomaTank's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty late in posting a reply to this, so sorry. I am a new member and have purchased a used 95 Reg Cab Tacoma about 7 months ago. I also experienced the violent shaking when applying my brakes and noticed the rack moving when moving my tire from left to right while it was suspended. This thread was very helpful so thank you all for contributing. I do have some questions though if someone doesn't mind answering?
First, I am have bad inner tire wear. Could this be from the worn out bushing? Secondly, can some explain what the link arm is?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #17
adiablo420 is on a distinguished road
adiablo420's Tacoma Gallery
i had that problemm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mann View Post
The service facility where I take my 96 Tacoma 4WD EXT Cab says that my rack and pinion has worn out bushings, and that the whole thing has to be replaced. I do trust these guys, they are some of my customers, and have known them for a few dollars. They have done excellent work on several other vehicles, as well as this truck. Have any of you had to replace this before? 160,000 miles is not a lot, however, the truck is worth fixing and keeping. I have too much in it to bail out now. Jim
i had that problem ...outer tie rod ends....
Old 04-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #18
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I had to replace my whole steering rack recently....freaking sucks and is expensive as hell.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #19
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered the parts and had a local 4x4 specialty shop install the R&P. I did inner and outer tie rods (moog) with energy sus bushings.

Feels great and no more wobble. Plus, no inner tire wear (cause by bad tie rod)
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, do the bushings first, then outer/inner tie rods...

I've done all and i still wander/have play, i only have 125k miles on it. FWIW, my tie rods were shot and needed to be replaced anyway.

Not looking forward to buying a new rack, they're a PITA to install. We tried on a friends 98 ext. Couldn't get the effer out.