Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

are prerunners 2wd?

Old 05-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
panaman is on a distinguished road
panaman's Tacoma Gallery
are prerunners 2wd?

I am one of those people who have a 1999 4x4 sr5 trd trucks with the frame rust problem... just waiting for toyota to go through the process.... so i am looking for a replacement.....

I like the 4x4 just because of snow i get in ohio and also... i ride dirtbikes and some of the places i park my truck at really needs 4x4...

anyway... are prerunners just 2wd? cuz some look like 4x4 but the adds i found on some used ones don't say 2wd or 4wd.....

also... what year did the suicide doors get installed on these for the extended cab
Old 05-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by panaman View Post
I am one of those people who have a 1999 4x4 sr5 trd trucks with the frame rust problem... just waiting for toyota to go through the process.... so i am looking for a replacement.....

I like the 4x4 just because of snow i get in ohio and also... i ride dirtbikes and some of the places i park my truck at really needs 4x4...

anyway... are prerunners just 2wd? cuz some look like 4x4 but the adds i found on some used ones don't say 2wd or 4wd.....

also... what year did the suicide doors get installed on these for the extended cab
Prerunners ARE 2 whel drive.
I belive the "suicide" doors became standard on the 2002 models and up.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
panaman's Tacoma Gallery
ok thanks for the help....

I am having a baby in october.... how hard is it to stick a baby seat in an extended cab with suicide doors
Old 05-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the "suicide" doors were on the 05 and up..... But I've been wrong before
Old 05-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
I thought the "suicide" doors were on the 05 and up..... But I've been wrong before
roland youre correct...the "suicide" doors were an addition to the new body style or generation...

my 02 definately does NOT have anything of the sort
Old 05-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Yup suicide doors 2005+. 2001+ 1st year of the double cab.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
also...to clarify...prerunners are 2wd from the factory...but they can be made into 4wd with a little cash and some time

i remember when i was shopping for a truck back in 05...one of the dealers here tried to con me into buying a silver dcab...was an 03 and had over 100K...price was 22K...he claimed it was a limited 4wd prerunner trd but the badging had been removed for everything...though it still had the toyota tacoma sr5 badges

it was indeed a 4wd...but there was no elocker...no leather seats...nothing special i hadnt seen in 50000000 other trucks i had looked at...
Old 05-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
hiphopcr is on a distinguished road

hiphopcr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am having a baby in october.... how hard is it to stick a baby seat in an extended cab with suicide doors
I just picked up an 2008 Prerunner Crew Cab because I had a baby. It helps out SOOOOOO much. I had a 2000 Prerunner extended cab and I really regretted not getting a double cab.

I'm sure it's a lot easier to get the baby seat in with suicide doors, but I really recommend the crew cab. Over the long run you may really want the room, and from what I've read the access cab is kind of joke for anything but cargo.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
panaman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopcr View Post
I just picked up an 2008 Prerunner Crew Cab because I had a baby. It helps out SOOOOOO much. I had a 2000 Prerunner extended cab and I really regretted not getting a double cab.

I'm sure it's a lot easier to get the baby seat in with suicide doors, but I really recommend the crew cab. Over the long run you may really want the room, and from what I've read the access cab is kind of joke for anything but cargo.
Well, I don't for see hauling the baby too much in my truck...
I just bought my woman an 07 toyota 4 door camry for the primary baby mobile..... but I am sure every now and then i might have to load a baby into it.... i am thinking the suicide doors would make it easy enough to jam a baby into it if needed
Old 05-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
hiphopcr is on a distinguished road

hiphopcr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, I don't for see hauling the baby too much in my truck...
I just bought my woman an 07 toyota 4 door camry for the primary baby mobile..... but I am sure every now and then i might have to load a baby into it.... i am thinking the suicide doors would make it easy enough to jam a baby into it if needed
In that case, I'm sure the suicide doors will help out greatly in getting the baby seat back there every once in a while. The best way to know is to take the baby for a test drive and see for yourself! It's Memorial Day and I'm sure you'll find car salesmen more than happy to show you their vehicles
Old 05-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Nope, You are correct. My neighbor has an '02 and he said he had them. I looked today, and he doesnt. My bad for taking his word for it.