Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Building sliders

View Poll Results: How should I build my sliders?
Bolt on 42 56.00%
Weld on 33 44.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
WRECKLESS for Life...
Wreckless_71 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Reserve County Sheriff
Name: Justin
Wreckless_71's Tacoma Gallery
Building sliders

So here's the deal, I want some sliders and I have the know how and all the tools available to me. I'm gonna attemt to build my own. I really like the looks and style of the rocky road rock sliders so that's gonna be my model (I'll attach a pic) but I'm curious what the best way to mount them is gonna be. What do you guys think? Bolt on or weld on?
Attached Thumbnails
Building sliders-flyinguma.jpg   Building sliders-flyinguma-20097.jpg  
Old 05-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
WRECKLESS for Life...

this is a better pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Building sliders-supersliders_5.jpg  
Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Weld on gets my vote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Weld on gets my vote
x2
Old 05-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless_71 View Post
Bolt on or weld on?
This is a question that I am struggling with also.

I've read that welding on is better because it stronger but welding on the frame has the potential to weaken the area around the weld if not done properly.

Not being a welder myself means relying on the skill level of the guy at the shop to do it right. It is also hard to undo once done.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
WRECKLESS for Life...

That's my issue exactly. If I weld em on and want to take them off ever, I'm gonna have to be VERY precise with the scarfing tip lol. If I bolt I'm drilling into the frame is that better or worse? I probably will be the last owner this truck sees being as she has 210k on her now. Blah, i don't know.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
quattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bruce
quattrokiwi's Tacoma Gallery
Yep weld on, i just made some also
Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
if your plan on using the sliders as sliders then weld. if they are for looks then bolt on
Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
rwcfrank is a jewel in the roughrwcfrank is a jewel in the roughrwcfrank is a jewel in the rough
rwcfrank's Tacoma Gallery
I you weld a thick plate to the frame and bolt to the thick plate rather than through the flimsy frame, and you use 4 or more grade 8 bolts it will be even stronger than a straight weld. this allow you to unboly and make changes to the sliders as well as remove them when you sell it..Just my 2 cents
Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
I know everyone on here thinks that weld on is better but i would never weld to the frame of any truck. To be honest bolt on IS stronger. I have been a welder for about 8 years. 3 or 4 grade 8 bolts are stonger then a weld wround a peice of pipe. It is easyer to weld the plates on the pipe on a bench or on the floor then to try and weld them directly to the frame. welding over head you will not fet the penitration you need for them to hold the weight of the truck. This is just my opion. Im not going to get in another pissing match about it.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Im planning on getting bolt ons, one of these days. Bc I like the fact I can take them off easily if I want to.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
WRECKLESS for Life...

rwcfrank's idea is pretty good, I never thought about that option. If I was gonna weld em on I would build them essentially the same as a set of bolt ons and weld on the inside, outside and bottom of the frame instead of just a round spot. I'm working on a CAD drwing of them right now... I'll post screen shots when I'm finished.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
If you do bolt on, remember the frame is boxed in that area so make "U" brackets to go around the frame, then bolt through those. Im sure you already knew this but just making sure...
Old 05-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
95yotafirst1 is on a distinguished road
95yotafirst1's Tacoma Gallery
the frame is tempered and if you weld it you will remove the temper out of the frame so it will be better to bolt them on
Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I made my own and welded them on. They are strong as hell. I've landed on them several times and they don't even budge. When I jacked up the whole side of the truck by the slider with a hi-lift, I could not even measure any flex with a ruler.

Regarding the heat weakening the frame issue. How many stories have you heard of people who broke the frame because they welded on it? Yeah, me neither. Just to reinforce the point, drilling a butt load of bolt holes isn't making the frame any stronger either.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #16
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
You are going to have to weld the sliders together anyways...right?

Why not just weld them on?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Weld on if you actually want to use them.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
yup weld them on if you plan to use them..... bolts can snap, the tensile strength of a weld is far superior to a bolt.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #19
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
penetration has come up as an issue, if you are welding them on using MIG run it hot, SMAW will have better penetration if thats what your lookin for...
Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #20
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
penetration has come up as an issue