LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to: 95.5-97 Grille swap onto 01-04

Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
How to: 95.5-97 Grille swap onto 01-04

Ok, so, I bought an 01 V6 TRD Taco to replace the old rusting out '96 that I originally had, but I hated the ass-ugly billet grille on the new truck and I really like the original Taco face, so I did a grille swap.

Started with 2 trucks:

Removed the hoods, lights, bumpers, and grilles from both trucks:

Swapped the hoods and put ARB mounts on the new truck:

Then moved the truck to a garage and started on the old-style headlight mounts on the new truck. This involved drilling holes in the body panels for the mount/aiming screws and squaring them out with a file. One went behind an existing hole on top of the light, and the other had to be marked and drilled afterward to ensure correct placement.
Filing:

Once the square plastic screw mounts fit, I put them in the holes and added epoxy to make sure they stayed put. Left them to set for the night and day and finished the next evening...

The grille clips are all the same for both styles, so the only modification needed was a little filing on the left side of the main grille part to make it fit in front of a cooling system hose. Then it just slid right on. I also used zip-ties to hold the grille in place because the OEM clips suck.

ARB mount process, with lights and grille all in place:

There you have it! All finished. Now I have a truly unique truck, not to mention I rid myself of that hideous billet grille.

Not sure if anyone cares or even wants to copy it, but there's what I did. If somebody else would like to follow suit and has questions, feel free to PM me anytime.

Parts swapped:
Hood
Hood latch (The 01-04 hood latch is too long)
Bumper
SAE rectangular headlights (sealed beams or H4 conversion lenses) and corresponding mounting/adjustment hardware
Grille
Metal trim pieces that attach to grille in bottom corners (purely cosmetic)

The parking lights and fenders do not change.

Lastly, the original grille will not fit on the 01-04 tacos with a stock bumper that has the color-matched trim piece on the top of it. I did not care because I also had an ARB bar to swap, but otherwise that must be removed or the bumper replaced.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
good job
Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, i want to do that but an 01-04 in my 95
Old 12-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #7
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ TACO View Post
I want to do a 95 4wd front end on my 00. It should only take the headlights, corner lights, grille, bumper fillers, and front bumper to do on a 00.
You shouldn't need corner lights...the shape is the same for all 1st gens. The only difference is the older ones (like my 96) were held by screws while the newer ones clipped in.
As for the bumper, if there is a little color-matched plastic trim piece on top of the chrome part then you will have to either remove that or get a different bumper. The older bumpers did not have that so the 95.5-97 grilles won't fit if it's there. It can probably be easily pulled off though.
You can use any old SAE rectangular headlights. I went for the IPF ones because a friend had the round ones and he liked them quite a bit.

So you really only need grille, little metal trim pieces that go in between grille and bumper (bumper fillers?), modified bumper, and headlights.

EDIT:I make note of the bumper trim piece in the write-up too.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
very nice.