Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

98 Tacoma vibration problems

Old 05-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
jeffexcell is on a distinguished road
jeffexcell's Tacoma Gallery
98 Tacoma vibration problems

I have a 1998 Tacoma V6 SR5 TRD 4X4 automatic transmission and recently it has started to vibrate while i'm driving. It's most noticable when I'm going about 45-60 and then let off the gas, but it vibrates slightly at other speeds as well. I just recently had the tires rotated and balance, which helped slightly. Also when I put it in gear it does have a clank. I'm thinking it could be a U-joint problem, but I'm not sure. Help me out!
Old 05-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Try greasing all the zerks on the driveshaft, the u-joint and the slip yoke and see if that helps your problem.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Also, with the vehicle in park, park brake on, go under the truck, grab the drive shaft and try to turn it. If it dont move, your U-joints are good. If it moves, you have a bad u-joint.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
The driveshaft doesn't move when I try to move it, could it be my tires? I'm riding on 31X15 all terrain tires and they are probably about 2 1/2 years old. Or I heard it could be my carrier bearings, is that a possibility? Or could it be something completely different? Sorry for these stupid questions.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Try what Huminoid said. Grease exerything good. Tires could be the problem. On my 2000 I had BFG A/T's and it vibed alot until I changed them out.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
rebel is on a distinguished road
rebel's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same probelm with my 97, same exact speed mainly when letting off the gas.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 AM   #7
Northern Alliance: padawan
RoadKill is on a distinguished road

RoadKill's Tacoma Gallery
Checking U-joints with park brake on and transmission in park (a/t) or in gear is not the way to go, you will not be able to feel any loose joints this way since the driveshaft is torked in park.
You need to put the transmisson in neutral to be able to turn it and feel the loose, put blocks behind and in front of one wheel if your parkbrake ain't safe.
do this for all joints, I think there is 5 in total, put one hand each side of joint and feel if there is any loose, do this before greasing.
check carriage bearing if loose in rubber by pushing upwards.
most clanking noises are made by the last joint (on differential) the piece that slides into driveshaft builds up loose on spleens, there should be a grease zert on this also but could have been butt off by off roading also each joint knucles on driveshaft must be aligned with the next. seen this very often since the spleen can be slided in anyways without master spleen.
Last thing, check your transmission support mounts if its cracked since it could disaligne driveshaft.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
Thanks guys, I'll check those things out and let you know what I find out!
Old 06-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
Checking U-joints with park brake on and transmission in park (a/t) or in gear is not the way to go, you will not be able to feel any loose joints this way since the driveshaft is torked in park.
You need to put the transmisson in neutral to be able to turn it and feel the loose, put blocks behind and in front of one wheel if your parkbrake ain't safe.
do this for all joints, I think there is 5 in total, put one hand each side of joint and feel if there is any loose, do this before greasing.
check carriage bearing if loose in rubber by pushing upwards.
most clanking noises are made by the last joint (on differential) the piece that slides into driveshaft builds up loose on spleens, there should be a grease zert on this also but could have been butt off by off roading also each joint knucles on driveshaft must be aligned with the next. seen this very often since the spleen can be slided in anyways without master spleen.
Last thing, check your transmission support mounts if its cracked since it could disaligne driveshaft.
Correct! I had it wrong. I was thinking of a manual tranny, as that was the last tranny I worked on.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
Northern Alliance: padawan
RoadKill is on a distinguished road

RoadKill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Correct! I had it wrong. I was thinking of a manual tranny, as that was the last tranny I worked on.
I was sure you knew, just wanted to lay out a good procedure.
You are probably like me, I find it harder to write the job then actualy do it
Old 06-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
I was sure you knew, just wanted to lay out a good procedure.
You are probably like me, I find it harder to write the job then actualy do it
LOL...True Dat!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
Ok, I took my truck into a mechanic to have it checked out and it turns out that it was the rear u-joints, but he also said that it was the rack and pinion steering and that my whole steering rack would have to be replaced. He said that part alone without the labor was $720! Does my whole steering rack need to be replaced or can I just replace the bushings? It seems like this is a problem with this generation of tacomas, but I'm really not sure
Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Unless your rack is leaking fluid somewhere, ask him to show you if it is, then yes, replace it, otherwise, just replace the bushings.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffexcell View Post
Ok, I took my truck into a mechanic to have it checked out and it turns out that it was the rear u-joints, but he also said that it was the rack and pinion steering and that my whole steering rack would have to be replaced. He said that part alone without the labor was $720! Does my whole steering rack need to be replaced or can I just replace the bushings? It seems like this is a problem with this generation of tacomas, but I'm really not sure
I would just replace the U-joints first. See if that fixes the problem. If not, then attack the rack & pinion.