Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mudding Tricks?

Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
foxmx258 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jacob
foxmx258's Tacoma Gallery
Mudding Tricks?

I have a 2004 PreRunner 2wd. If I am going through mud and stuff should i put it in Low gear or 2nd gear or Leave it in Drive? And should i turn on the ETC switch to get more traction?
Old 06-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
viperfella is on a distinguished road
Name: Bubba
viperfella's Tacoma Gallery
my best advice would be to steer clear of the mud with a 2wd but if u haft to go through it never stop. always keep your speed in a hole and the etc does not help with traction it deals with your tranny if you have it in low gear the etc button does nothing
Old 06-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
My tacoma will go through more mud then alot of 4x4 smaller trucks and etc does nothing? What about over drive?
Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
keep the tires spinning fast.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGator View Post
Good advice ^^^^avoid the mud for the most part and keep the RPM's high so you can keep moving and sling the mud off your tires.
So high rpms but what gear and leave over drive and etc off?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future03redtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Richard
03redtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would leave it in drive with the ECT off. The Ect will not help you in the mud, it just changes your shift points.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Just romp it!! If you get stuck have someone pull you out. I have been to several mud holes where 4wd still only gets you so far if you don't romp it. But again you get stuck have someone get you out. I stand by if you haven't been stuck your not wheeling hard enough.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGator View Post
4 high, mine is a auto but I would guess 2nd to 3rd gear range with a stick that has stock gears. But I haven't tried with a standard tranny Taco. Just make sure you have a buddy with a recovery strap.
x2. and that goes for everybody not just 2wd
Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
viperfella is on a distinguished road
Name: Bubba
viperfella's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
x2. and that goes for everybody not just 2wd
i have one in my tool box now
Old 06-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
romp it and pray you make it through and not get stuck and have to call your buddy with a 4x4 lol JK
Old 06-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
thats the reason why you get a 4wd
Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
well mine is a 4wd drive, 4hi and second gear and my girl never gets stuck
Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberts View Post
well mine is a 4wd drive, 4hi and second gear and my girl never gets stuck
Cocky huh? Be sure to post pics when you get stuck
Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #15
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
i'll be sure to do that i actually have been stuck before my whole front passenger side tire was under water, i hit someones old rut probably from a full size but i wasnt stuck in mud it was water haha
Old 06-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
Hammer down!!!