Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which should i go with coil over or bilstein 5100's?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
keeganfl is on a distinguished road
Name: Keegan
keeganfl's Tacoma Gallery
Which should i go with coil over or bilstein 5100's?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Family/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Family/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Family/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.png[/IMG]Bilstein 5100 0-2.5" Lift Adjustable Front Shock 175.00/pair

or

2001 Toyota Tacoma
Coil Over Shock Absorber
Brand: Pro Comp

PROCOMP COIL OVER SHOCK ABSORBER -- Front With 4 Inch Lift, Improve Driving Comfort And Performance On And Off The Road

Pair $ 142.00

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Family/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
5100's for sure

those pro comp things are not what they are advertised in the pic

pro comp never made CO's for the 1st gens, just the 4" DB lift

dont waste your time w/ pro comp
Old 06-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
APTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
APTJ's Tacoma Gallery
make a poll...

and i say bilsteins
Old 06-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
Billys!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
StatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud ofStatutoryAPE has much to be proud of

Name: Joey
StatutoryAPE's Tacoma Gallery
can anyone explain how those bilsteins actually work. How do you change the ride height? post pics to help explaination please.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Dennis = sinneD
Mr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to all
Mr.Fahrenheit's Tacoma Gallery
works by moving a clip that adjusts the bottom coil plate. im sure someone will post pics.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Silver Machine
lve2xlr8_mph will become famous soon enough

Name: Tyler
lve2xlr8_mph's Tacoma Gallery
defantley go billys, i just put mine own and the ride is alot better (night and day)
It has a clip like they said, you compress your spring and move the clip up to the desired height.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
sedrock is on a distinguished road
sedrock's Tacoma Gallery
Billy's...... no question! Just had mine done 2 weeks ago, truck(01 DC) has never been so smooth. Call Dan!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
reddoublecab is on a distinguished road

Navy:
reddoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedrock View Post
Billy's...... no question! Just had mine done 2 weeks ago, truck(01 DC) has never been so smooth. Call Dan!

Did my 04 Dc a month ago......VERY HAPPY. If you raise the front, make sure and get it aligned!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
Htnswches is on a distinguished road

Name: E
Htnswches's Tacoma Gallery
I say neither. Anything pro comp sucks and billy's do ok but you're still compressing the coils. In time coils and shocks(billy's) wear and you get sag and fade. They won't feel the same after some miles and you'll have to buy again. There is plenty of good used true coilovers (SAW,Fox...)check the classifieds and craigslist, I bought some for my 03 rebuilt them and spend a total of $350 and had an awesome ride, on and off road. I have an 06 with billy's and can't wait to upgrade to something better.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #11
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Idk if this applies to us first gen But Leeper suspension are selling Coilovers for the 2nd gen tacoma for 500 a pair. It might be the same price or around the same price for the first gen.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...coilovers.html

Leepers used to Build the Donahoe Racing coilovers which is now Icon.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
Tacoma addict
mtucker has a spectacular aura aboutmtucker has a spectacular aura aboutmtucker has a spectacular aura about

Name: Matt
mtucker's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100s on the front ride great, but I only wanted a little lift to help level out my Doublecab. They might not ride as well at the full lift setting since they would be compressing the spring more to get the height. I have been very happy with them. Here are some pictures.

Matt
Old 06-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #13
AlphaGeek is on a distinguished road
AlphaGeek's Tacoma Gallery
In case it's not obvious -- you don't HAVE to choose between one or the other. The ToyTec coilovers are Bilstein 5100 fronts with a coilover sleeve installed in place of the multi-position spring perch.

Mine arrive tomorrow, along with Dakar rear springs and a bunch of other goodies.

-AG
Old 06-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Billys FTW!