Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

just got a new ride. wanna make it mine, suggestions?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
jakefish24 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
jakefish24's Tacoma Gallery
just got a new ride. wanna make it mine, suggestions?

ok so i just bought my '98 tacoma, and am noticing there are A LOT of generic looking tacomas in my area, anyone have any tips on reletively cheap options to get a white Tacoma looking mean and like a one of a kind? thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
debadge it...lift it...new wheels and tires...
Old 06-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
1st Gen. Pride
only_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really nice

Name: Kevin
only_K's Tacoma Gallery
Get a sticker, or even a sockmonkey besdide decal.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
jet propulsion and swept wings set to 35 degrees and a 20mm cannon

oh aa maybe a sticker?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by only_K View Post
Get a sticker, or even a sockmonkey besdide decal.
x2

Maybe getta billet grille insert or a mesh grille insert
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
Dennis = sinneD
Mr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to all
Mr.Fahrenheit's Tacoma Gallery
clear corners and clear turn signals are always clean on the 98-00 tacos......
Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
GETTN IT
th3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
th3bigk0's Tacoma Gallery
Black everything out
Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #9
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
You wanna go getto, pimp, or boy racer?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
Quote:
i still want it to be a truck, i just dont want it to look like every other factory taco out there, ya know? thanks for all the tips and site links guys. appreciate it.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #11
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post

hehe

Hmmm, can we combine genres? Ghetto bro? Expedition pimp? Racer crawler? Mall boy crawler?

I suggest browsing a ton of 1st gen pictures on this site to see what others have done and what you like the look of. Most people list the specific mods they do and prodcuts they bought, so you can check that out or ask them if you see something you like:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ads-color.html

Also check out the lighting, wheels and tires, detailing, and suspenion threads.

Oh, and is your truck 2wd or 4wd? And what color is it? And POST A PICTURE OF IT!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
also, anyone know a good site to order a grille guard off of?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
Quote:
Oh, and is your truck 2wd or 4wd? And what color is it? And POST A PICTURE OF IT!
4wd, white with a little god trim line, AND IM WORKING ON IT!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefish24 View Post
4wd, white with a little god trim line, AND IM WORKING ON IT!
WHY ARE WE YELLING AT EACH OTHER?

What is a god trim line? White with gold and little harps?

By grill guard, do you mean bull bar? Like Westin? Or something that protects the headlights and everything from deer strikes, etc? Like an ARB or similar?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
hey man, he yelled at me first, oops haha, yes i ment GOLD my bad. I mean like something that will protect my shit from animals cause my area has a lot of wildlife, and it actually brought the demise of my jetta. big and mean is the key. ;-)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #16
FJ Cruiser
KEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedKEG'sTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kurt
KEG'sTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to KEG'sTACO
If you're on a budget, think of the small stuff first.

Color-Matched 1st Gen Grille Surround:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/96141-color-matched-1st-gen-grille-surround.html

Painting your rims:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...-write-up.html

Paint your grill & bumper:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/95878-painted-my-grill-bumper-what-do-you-think.html

And you can always look around at build threads and see what you like. Here's one that is moderate and makes his truck stand out from the normal Tacoma crowd:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...l-penguin.html

Last, you can go through this "Buildups and Information" list and choose whatever catches your eye:
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamo...acoma.html#sus
Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
slap some 24s on there and blast that "hip" gangsta music
Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
nothing like some cool body damage to make a truck your own
Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #19

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefish24 View Post
hey man, he yelled at me first, oops haha, yes i ment GOLD my bad. I mean like something that will protect my shit from animals cause my area has a lot of wildlife, and it actually brought the demise of my jetta. big and mean is the key. ;-)
My suggestion would be an ARB bumper. You can justify it. There are lots of other nice looking custom beefy tube or plate style bumpers out there, and you wil find many examples on this site if you search for those terms (plate bumper, tube bumper).

The ARB is tried and tested, compatible with air bags, and looks f'ing good IMO. It has many options.

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Bull-...atures/28.aspx

If I could justify the need, I would get one.

Considerations:
1. It adds weight way out front.
2. This will make your front end sag and affect your ride quality/suspension.
3. Chances are, unless the previous owner modified or replaced the suspension, your is shot (the OEM just sucks)

You will want to put stronger coils and better struts on the front end to generally improve ride and handling (and safety) and handle the added weight. Old Man Emu (OME, not to be confused with OEM, original equipment manufacturer) springs (881s) are a likley answer, maybe 882s (only difference is height)

Check out Wheeler's Offroad for these along with explanation of application and also for new struts (OME or possibly Bilstein 5100s, depending on what makes most sense for you.)

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ometaco.htm

Oh, then you'll likely want to do something with the rear suspension, which also sucks.

Oh, yeah, you brought a bag of money to this game, right? I just spent at least $1500 for you, assuming you can do it yourself and don't pay for labor.

Screw all the other cosmetic stuff and do this. It will be a better, safer truck.

I would think that may offroad shops in CO would have al these goodies. Do some price shopping. These are all heavy to ship.

Let the modding begin...

Oh, did you say cheap?