Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lower Ball Joint recall

Old 06-11-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Lower Ball Joint recall

I seen where there was a re call on the lower ball joints 2000-2004 anyone have there's replaced under the recall?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
They did mine at the beginning of the year since the previous owner never had them done. They didn't have them in stock and it took a week to get them in. It was something they looked up and offered when I took the truck in for something else.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Tbell5 is on a distinguished road
Tbell5's Tacoma Gallery
This is the first I am hearing about a recall on lower ball joints. I have owned my 04' tacoma since new and never received any information from Toyota in the mail. The front steering seems fine, but is this something I should contact Toyota and see if I can have them replaced?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
I went in feb. When I first gt my truck and they said it had no recalls even aftr I had read about this one.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i got the ones on my 04 done year before last....no prob at all. it had 46k miles on it then.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

When I 1st received the BJ notice,dealer did a "what the?"....I patiently waited for them to "Fail" for state inspection BUT then came my "Frame recall"...Everything was done then....
Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
google is your friend...

hahahaha

from the NHTSA.gov site...

Manufacturer: TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Mfr's Report Date: MAY 06, 2005
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 05V225000
NHTSA Action Number: EA04024
Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT

Potential Number of Units Affected: 768379
Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, DUE TO A MANUFACTURING ISSUE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINT, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE SURFACE OF THE BALL OF THE JOINT MAY HAVE BEEN SCRATCHED. THE BALL JOINT MAY EVENTUALLY EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE WEAR AND LOOSENESS, RESULTING IN INCREASED STEERING EFFORT.
Consequence:
THE LOWER BALL JOINT MAY SEPARATE FROM THE KNUCKLE CAUSING LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 5, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

Notes:
TOYOTA RECALL NO. 50J. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
One way I've found to look up pending recalls for Toyota's is to register on their site and put in your VIN. http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/index.html. It'll also show you stuff the dealer has done in the past (if they've been putting stuff in like they're supposed to) No clue how far back it goes, but I do have a record on there from 2005 (long before I owned it).
Old 06-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
my6 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: SAC/SP
my6's Tacoma Gallery
hey thanks for the link. i signed up and now i know where my truck was originally purchased. scary to see that there are no service records from toyota though. hhhmmmmm.....
Old 06-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
I just registered as well and it shows that it was done in 05. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Dogma is on a distinguished road

Name: Dogma
Dogma's Tacoma Gallery
This just happened to someone in the family. Looks like it will be covered under the recall. Gonna have to check mine too...

Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
This just happened to someone in the family. Looks like it will be covered under the recall. Gonna have to check mine too...

recall and free alignment worthy definitely.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Had my 03 done once the recall came out. There was some kind of production problem with the ball being gouged during manufacturing process.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery

Holy crap, now I am motivated to check mine tonight!

My gut feeling is that it is OK, because the previous owner had major service records at the dealer all the way up to 90k, and i just got it at 101k last year.

But holy crap. That could suck hard on the highway.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I looked up my truck too. But it didnt say anything about it being done. How can find out If mine was done?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #16
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Never mind! I had to Register myself. My truck was done about a year before I got it. Wippy!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #17
w/chunter is a splendid one to beholdw/chunter is a splendid one to beholdw/chunter is a splendid one to beholdw/chunter is a splendid one to beholdw/chunter is a splendid one to beholdw/chunter is a splendid one to beholdw/chunter is a splendid one to behold

w/chunter's Tacoma Gallery
I am registered on that site, but it doesn't show the recall was performed. The only recall that was performed was WARRANTY APPLIED RUST CORROSION PREVENTION COMPOUND TO SUBFRAME in Feb of this year. When I click on the Recall/Campaign Information tab this comes up: There are no open Special Service Campaigns or Recalls on your vehicle. Does this means the ball joint recall doesn't pertain to my vehicle, or do I need to call the Toyota number?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Would the Dealers try to wiggle themselves out if you got aftermarket UCA?
Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #20
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w/chunter View Post
I am registered on that site, but it doesn't show the recall was performed. The only recall that was performed was WARRANTY APPLIED RUST CORROSION PREVENTION COMPOUND TO SUBFRAME in Feb of this year. When I click on the Recall/Campaign Information tab this comes up: There are no open Special Service Campaigns or Recalls on your vehicle. Does this means the ball joint recall doesn't pertain to my vehicle, or do I need to call the Toyota number?
go under service records, at top middle I think. Then check one that says 5j or something click detail and It will say parts and info about. Found that mine was done back in Aug 05'. Had bunch of other records too, I checked em all that's how I found the balljoint.
Thanks for the link!