1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question on lift: Kit or not?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98SR5Red, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Jun 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    98SR5Red

98SR5Red [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Sway-Away racerunners up front, Downey leafsprings (5 pack) and Bilstein 5125's in back, 2" body lift, K&N/AEM air intake, Energy Bushings, Nology plug wires, Custom front/rear bumpers and sliders. Downey header and custom exhuast from there back.
    Hey everyone,

I'm a newly registered member here and I've come to my first crossroads on the 1998 Taco I bought a bit ago.

Any way, the lift on this truck was said to be a 3" suspension lift and a 2" body lift.

Now the suspension lift was definitely not a kit. It's got Sway=A=Way Race Runners in front and a 5-leaf downey pack in the rear. When I was having the steering rack replaced my friend and I realized that the stock steering stop (I think that's what its called) wasn't replaced with a longer one. Allowing the tire to turn all the way until the shock hits the caliper.

Well there's the story and my question I guess is what other crucial things should I check for to see if the guy did a hack job effort at this lift or not?(he seemed pretty knowledgable, but ya never know).

Thanks for any help. and sorry if this is an easy answer but I'm new to the lift thing. I look forward to many an hour spent drooling here haha.

Justin

2. Jun 11, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Sway-Away racerunners up front, Downey leafsprings (5 pack) and Bilstein 5125's in back, 2" body lift, K&N/AEM air intake, Energy Bushings, Nology plug wires, Custom front/rear bumpers and sliders. Downey header and custom exhuast from there back.
    Sorry, I meant to tell ya I was gonna show you some up close pics of the stuff tomorrow when it's light out.

3. Jun 11, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Sorry I didn't prrof read very well... Its got Bilstein 5125's in back as well.

4. Jun 11, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    the suspension you have on that truck is better than most kits out there... SAWs are a reputable coilover and Downey made some good leaf kits back in the day when this truck was likely built up...

not sure what the steering stop extension you are talking about though... steering extension would only be necessary if running a long travel kit, but your truck doesn't seem to be long travel...

definitely post up pics of the wheel turned at full lock and where the coilovers are hitting the calipers...

5. Jun 12, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Pictures coming... the extension im think that I'm talking about isnt to allow further turning of the wheel but to prevent over turning. Right now the turn radous is super small, but if cranked all the way it must be doing some damage to the components.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge on the subject but thats what I'm here ot do is learn! haha.

6. Jun 12, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Hopefully these will help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here's some of out back too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again guys for any help.

Products Discussed in

To Top