1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

strange clank

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by takern, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Jun 12, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    i noticed about 4 days ago an interesting clank coming from my left side. it mostly happens at low speeds below 25mph and over very small bumps like going over a manhole or making a left turn, not a right turn though strangely. anything bigger than that and i cant hear it. it sounds like two very thin pieces of metal kinda being tapped together. i got underneath and shook the coilovers and they werent budging. i tested the upper and lower control arms and they didnt move. i shook the swaybar but couldnt get the noise. i looked for anything hanging down in the engine bay but didnt see anything. i even shook the exhaust pipe and transfer case under there and nothing is loose. any other ideas? i have a set of SAW coilovers up front btw

2. Jun 12, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    is the spare tire tight?

3. Jun 12, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    yeah it should be. i filled it up with air a month ago and took the chain up. it doesnt make a creak though like the chain is swinging back and forth. more like 2 skid plates being touched back and forth

4. Jun 12, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    My skid plate bolts were loose and would make a noise. Not sure if it was the same clank as yours though

5. Jun 12, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    no they are tight, i grabbed on to them and shook aslo. i am quite perplexed by this noise

6. Jun 13, 2010 at 12:08 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Since the left side suspension is compressed on a right hand turn, I'd focus on the right front side for the cause. Pay close attention to the right front wheel bearing.

7. Jun 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    Are all your lug nuts tight. Im sure you already checked them but my friend just had it happen to him on his subaru so its a possibility. Also check/take off or even swap them to the opposite side the end links on the sway bar they can make a clank noise. Hope that helps.

8. Jun 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    quackhead03

quackhead03 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    Vehicle:
    03 ex. cab
    K&N filter flowmaster exaust w/ chrome tip
    i had that problem, my tire fell off

9. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    did you ever find the cause of this noise? I developed this clanking noise on the left side that is only noticeable over small bumps but not larger ones which is very weird. It didn't start until i took the truck to the dealer to get my steering rack bushings replaced, and an alignment so it has to be something that those ass holes did. I am taking it back there sometime this week so hopefully they will find and fix it for free, but just wondered if you found a solution

Products Discussed in

To Top