1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"FUN" Transmission Fluid and Filter Change!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TD2, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Jun 12, 2010 at 10:41 PM
    TD2

TD2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ID
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 DBL Cab V6
    Well I decided to try and change the ATF fluid and filter myself today. What a mistake!!!!

First of all let me tell you if it's never been done by 114k miles then your oil pan is going to be welded on there, or at least mine was. It took several hard blows from a hammer into a thick blade putty knife to get the pan to even crack open!

Secondly the dipstick would not come apart. I had two of us pulling and prying and banging. Finally I had to disconnect it from the engine block and pull the whole thing down! Then somehow it just slid off like nothing was holding it together. @%^#@$$@ THING!

Thirdly the gasket material from the factory is something like a rubber version of JB weld! I had to use a Dremel tool to clean the pan off and an 1hr of hard labor scraping the bottom of the AT. Luckily, I hope, the new gasket is one rubber piece and hopefully won't leak?

Next I cleaned the pan and magnets. They magnets were coated with thick black gunk! But no metals shavings, hurray! I got it all put back together and then had the reverse problem with the $#%$#$%# dipstick! I had to re-remove it form the engine block and seat it and then wrestle for 15mins to get the bolt back into the block.

Then I moved onto measuring my removed fluid so I could properly refill it. Strangely I have 6.5qts???? Where did it all come from? Well I know it came from the ATF but what happened to 2qts it was supposed to be?

So here is the question part of my post. How much does a total AT hold? I was going to fill with standard AT fluid, Valvoline Dex-III, nothing special it's from NAPA. But now that almost all the fluid is out should I go with Mobil 1 Synthetic? Or stick with standard oil? Royal Purple is available here but Amsoil isn't easily found. Any thoughts? How much would I need? 6.5qts is my guess.

Finally how the %$#%$$ do you get to the front diff to change the fluid there and where are the drain and fill plugs on the transfer case?

2. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    toycar18

toycar18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab 2.7L
    OME Suspension, BFG 33x10.50 AT, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Rear ARB Air Locker, LCE Header, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, K&N Intake
    It likely holds much more than 6.5 quarts.

Its probably more like 10-15 quarts. (my Chevy Express Work Van holds like 15-20 quarts of ATF)

Dropping the pan and draining it does not remove all of the fluid. The only way to remove it all is to flush the transmission.

I would go synthetic if all the fluid is gone (if you flushed it) and if you changed it before (around 50K). Sometimes if you wait too long and change your transmission fluid with synthetic it can cause the tranny to slip or leak. Synthetic fluid is much thinner and reduces friction. It is unlikely on a Toyota but on other cars it can happen.

I would go with the cheaper ATF and just change every 50K miles even if it still looks good. Your transmission costs just as much as your motor so make sure you are changing the fluid often.

I do most of my maintenance myself but I always pay someone to change an auto tranny because it is much better to flush the fluid and change the filter. It also is a giant pain in the ass lying down to change all of that stuff.

The skid plate must be dropped to get to the front diff. There is a drain and fill plug. One or both of them uses a hex/allen wrench. It may be a large size - I had to buy a hex socket from Snap On (expensive). I could not find a cheap one that large. I bought a replacement plug and the hex was much smaller so it may vary depending on your year.

The transfer case has a pretty obvious drain and fill plug. Something like 19-23mm... Can't quite remember the size. Maybe someone can let us know. It is really easy to round the heads on the drain and fill plugs so be careful and don't over-tighten it.

My 98 doesn't have a skid plate under the transfer case but I think the 01-04s do with an auto tranny... maybe someone could chim in.

BTW, the front diff is a pain to change.

3. Jun 13, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    id rather drain and refill, with 114k miles flushing could damage seals and flush metal particals where you dont want them. take off pan, you have a 2 peice dipstick you have to disconnect, take off the magnetic filer and clean it good, clean off all magnets, and scrape off all toyota gunk on both sides of pan and replace with either rtv silicone gasket or a synthetic gasket, i dont reccomend cork or rubber. be sure to fill the trans to the proper level and not any large metal chunks or excessive metal shavings on magnets (there will be some from clutch pack wear)

fill it with the 6.5 qts, thats about how much mine holds, these trucks transmissions arent as big as that work van iirc we have an A340E transmission

the tcase isnt hard to do, its essentially what he said, just be sure to have enough gear oil for the front diff and t-case, fill it till it comes out the fill hole

it also helps if you buy a cheap pump from harbor freight to pump it in.

tonyclifton likes this.
  4. Jun 13, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    toycar18

toycar18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab 2.7L
    OME Suspension, BFG 33x10.50 AT, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Rear ARB Air Locker, LCE Header, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, K&N Intake
  5. Jun 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

Your owner's manual should tell the fluid capacity of the A/T. If I remember right my I4 A/t was 11 quarts total. The manual said to add about 2.5 quarts on a simple drain.

6. Jun 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    TD2

TD2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ID
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 DBL Cab V6
    Thanks all for the great links and advice. I filled the AT with the cheap stuff from NAPA, Dex-III. It took 6qts and is now between the two indents on the dipstick where it says HOT. I ran it about 6 miles and checked again and still reading there. Also checked pan and no visible leaks yet. I'm not sure what the gasket material was but it was black and felt like rubber. I may do the Rear Diff and Trans case myself and then get someone else to do the front diff. My neck , back, shoulder, and hands are toast.(joint problems) I don't think I'll be dropping that pan again unless it leaks.

7. Jun 13, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    TD2

TD2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ID
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 DBL Cab V6
    What is the funny thing hanging down off the transfer case? It's the thing right where the word "drain plug" is.

transfercase.jpg

8. Jun 14, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    96er

96er Sport Rally'er

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma XCab 4x4 SR5
    Looks like a protective skid plate.

9. Jun 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
  10. Jun 14, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    TD2

TD2 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ID
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 DBL Cab V6
    I didn't intend to Flush mine but it seems I semi did by dropping the pan. I would consider 6.5qts almost a complete flush. Well ok half at least. But I've driven about 20miles now and all is the same so far. I won't ever flush just drain and fill every 30-50k now.

11. Jun 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    My Honda car had no filter, or pan just drain>fill>drain>fil>drain>fil. Took about 3 qts each time..

12. Jun 15, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    montanabay

montanabay Active Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4WD AUTO
    Fireturk, is your truck 2x4? I was under the impression that the A340E was the 2x4 and A340F was 4x4?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking A34D, the A340E is the electric 4x4 vs the manual A430F.....I think.....lol

13. Jun 15, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    eh not sure, i can check i have both 2wd and 4wd trans in my garage, theyre both small lol

the only differance in the trans on a 2wd and 4wd is the nose cone and the output shaft

14. Sep 29, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but what about a manual transmission? Any good write-ups? I can't seem to find anything on the manual tranny. What lube would you suggest?

Thanks!

15. Sep 29, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Use the same gear oil you put in the transfer case. Draining and filling is also pretty much the same as the t-case; drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug about half way up. I find it easier to fill the tranny through the top (remove the shifter).

16. Sep 29, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    TacomaJack09

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    thank you sir!

17. Sep 29, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's

it's a vibration damper. ..i took mine off and experienced no ill side effects. ..however, some have removed it and said they got vibs.

guess what the price for that part is from the dealer? ...over $300 last i checked. pretty expensive damper, no?

18. Sep 29, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Definately don't use any gear oil that contains friction modifiers. Those are OK for diffs but not for trannys and t-cases.

Redline Oil makes a synthetic 90w oil for manuals trannys called MTL. I've used it in my old Tacoma. Made a huge improvement in dowsshifting into 1st gear. Overall, the synchros seemed to run quieter and shift smoother.

19. Sep 30, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    TacomaJack09

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4

I just used, Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-90. Like the guys used on this link.

http://www.yourtacoma.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=3&id=10&artlang=en

I found out that my transfer case was almost empty (maybe half a soda can full) , and the oil was old.

My transmission had a quart too much oil.

And my Front & Rear Diffs were fine, with good oil.

So hopefully I didn't hurt my transfer case, or transmission but everything seems fine, and my truck drives quieter and shifts smoother into first and second. :)

20. Sep 30, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel

Products Discussed in

To Top