Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

problem w/ elect. lighting, turn signals, brake lights...

Old 06-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
wheelinAZ
cheffboy3030 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richie
cheffboy3030's Tacoma Gallery
problem w/ elect. lighting, turn signals, brake lights...

I have an 01 tacoma with 182k and experiencing problems with electrical lights. My brake lights turn on instantly when I turn on my head lights, my turn signals blink really fast, my AC button lights blink simultaneously with my blinkers, and just now my blinker lights quit working all together (Neither the lights nor the arrows on the dash work). I believe this is caused by the multifunction switch (turn signal switch knob) and that it needs replacement. Before I spend large amount of money on this small electrical component I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this? And if there is anything else that could cause these problems? - thanks for your input
Old 06-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I think you might have a bad ground somewhere. Did you just install a hitch for a trailer?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
If the brake lights are involved, I doubt the cause is the combination switch alone. Sounds more like a short or bad ground in the wiring leading to the rear. Such weirdness is common when a trailer harness goes bad.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
wheelinAZ

thanks for your replies-

I don't have a trailer harness hooked up or any additional wiring for that matter and the brake lights ONLY become involved when I turn my head lights on (which are controlled by the multifunction switch). When I am not engaging that switch everything works fine. I will take it apart and look for a short in that switch wiring system and see if its as simple as that.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Is the A/C switch lamp the only dash light (other than the turn signal indicators) that acted weird?

The combination switch has nothing to do with the brake lights, so it's unlikely whatever is cross-juicing the brake light circuit is occurring within the switch assembly itself.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
wheelinAZ

The AC lights are the only dash lights acting funny, but what makes me believe the brake lights could be caused by this switch is that they don't FULLY light up. They light to about 90% illumination, acting as a running light that's very very bright. They're supposed to light up dimly when my headlights are on but they're lighting up way too much
Old 06-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Trace your headlight wiring back to the source. Pay close attention to where it's bundled with other wires. It"s most likely when it runs through a pinch point. Ie. Grommet or zip tie etc.
I doubt it's a switch or trailer harness, unless it's routed with the headlight wires.
Check all grounds as well. Bad or missing grounds cause some really weird problems.
Check for frankenstien circuits(mess of wiring for aftermarket components). Those could be suspect as well.
Good luck! Shorts to power are tricky to pinpoint.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
The brake light circuit is apparently getting current from some circuit controlled by the combination switch, but it can't be getting this cross-current from the switch itself.