Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What size drop ball hitch do I need on stock suspension?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
chmura is on a distinguished road
chmura's Tacoma Gallery
What size drop ball hitch do I need on stock suspension?

I have the OEM hitch on my 2002 4x4, TRD, xcab, Tacoma with Stock suspension.

I need to buy a ball mount since I will be towing something this Sunday.

What size drop ball hitch do I need so that the trailer will be level? 2 inch drop mount?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Banned
ShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Forward Observer
Name: Casey
ShaShasBoo's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, I have a 2" drop. Worked great when I was stock pullin a car trailer.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
chmura's Tacoma Gallery
I will be helping a friend move and pulling this trailer. http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.asp...t=trailer-6x12

Will a 2 inch drop be enough?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I will be helping a friend move and pulling this trailer. http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.asp...t=trailer-6x12

Will a 2 inch drop be enough?
Hard to tell from here so I would get the right one at Uhaul when you pick up the trailer.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
chmura's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Hard to tell from here so I would get the right one at Uhaul when you pick up the trailer.
Yeah that is what I am thinking myself. This is a pretty low trailer so I might need more then a 2 inch drop. I am picking up the trailer Sunday.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
montanabay is on a distinguished road
montanabay's Tacoma Gallery
all depends on the "level" height of the trailer, a snowmobile trailer with little tires under the flat bed will need a long drop to keep the trailer level, if you have big wheels on independent arms for a big boat trailer, level will be a bit higher.

On my truck, the boat trailer is level when the tongue is 17.5", utility trailer is only 15" off the ground.

If you buy a 2 or 3" drop, you can always flip the ball on the hitch and will be +2".
Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
chmura's Tacoma Gallery
Its this trailer guys. 6x12 feet.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
rjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Riley
rjclemen's Tacoma Gallery
I pulled one of those trailers the other weekend. Like that exact one. 2" is all you need.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
chmura's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjclemen View Post
I pulled one of those trailers the other weekend. Like that exact one. 2" is all you need.
Does your tacoma have the stock suspension?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
What do ya'll feel about the adjustable drop ones? Worth it or not durable enough for any real use?