1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Herculiner Tailgate

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacoman101, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Jun 17, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    So recently I went to get some rocks (3/4 inch ledge) for the driveway and I was stupid enough to leave the tailgate up. The guy with the bucket loader dumped the rocks into the bed, but about a quarter of the rocks played ping pong with my tailgate. Now, all down my tailgate (along the small part that sticks out a bit) is chipped really bad. I thought about getting it repainted, but then figured it was a tailgate, and it would probably get more dents and scratches. So my solution was to Herculine the whole tailgate (either black or some other color). What do you guys think about that idea. I know Will did it to his Taco, and i think it looks sweet. I really like the texture, and it would be wicked tough. Also, I was wondering if there was some way that I could re-glue the Toyota and the Tacoma back on. Thanks for the opinions ahead of time.

2. Jun 17, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    You could sand down the herculiner where the emblem would glue back on on herculine around the embelm. Also as far as tougher it would be as far as scratch tough but it would still dent. All and all I think it sounds like a pretty good idea as long as you can handle the fact that the tailgate stands out from the rest of the truck and color.

3. Jun 18, 2010 at 4:08 AM
    tacoman101

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    Anyone, else have any opinions on if, or if not I should do this?

4. Jun 18, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Bite the bullet get it repainted. I think I would do that before I put anything like liner on the outside. It will scream getto mod. Probably will not charge you much for a tailgate, it's easy to paint.

5. Jun 18, 2010 at 4:36 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It would probably be a pretty cheap re-paint. I got my hood repainted for like 240 bucks on my scion tC.

That being said- Are you going to herculiner any other parts?? If you do just the tailgate- It might look kinda budget. But if you are herculining other parts-it could look pretty neat. I'd leave the emblems on- use a small bush to get into the smaller spaces between letters and stuff. It might inset the the emblems a little bit- but I think that is the best bet if you want to keep them on.

6. Jun 18, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    tacoman101

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    I have my bed Herculined, and the Fender flares, so I was kinda going with a Herculiner Theme...some where down the road I also want to Herculine my rockers

Products Discussed in

To Top