1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to do with frame - let it rust = new frame or prevent rust?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by yota32, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jun 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    yota32

yota32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alright, since Toyota will replace the frames, what are you guys doing? Are you preventing the rust or are you just letting it go hoping your frame fails so you can get a new frame?

2. Jun 21, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    I guess both strategies makes sense. If you want it to rust, might want to park your truck in some salt water, otherwise how would you guarantee it'll fail inspection before the Oct 2010 deadline? ;)

3. Jun 21, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    BajaTaco96

BajaTaco96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Silver Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma 4wd, 3" suspension lift
    K&N, ToyTec 3" front spacers, 3" Fabtech AAL's, Flowmaster exhuast, no cat, Exedy Stage 2 clutch
    It's all about some rustoleum and rhino liner. :D

Rustoleum flat black + Rhino liner (or equivalent) = No rust.

Just got to make sure you can get rid of the rust problem first, I'm not a fan of the "rust to primer" type deals. I've found a good potent Purple Power or something like that can literally dissolve a light noncancerous rust off so you can get to what you want to protect. Plenty of sand paper helps too.

4. Jun 21, 2010 at 11:16 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Have you taken it to the dealer yet for an inspection?

Why would you WAIT?? If you're entitled to a new frame, then GET IT WHILE IT'S FREE!!!

Then, AFTER you get a new frame...start worrying about rust protection. Otherwise, WHY waste your hard earned money trying to prevent rust when its already causing damage?? It's very hard to stop rust once it starts, unless you remove it completely and then add protection.

5. Jun 22, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

The Oct 2010 deadline is for the frame inspection not the frame replacement. If you get the inspection them you are good for the frame replacement for 15 years.

6. Jun 22, 2010 at 5:23 AM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    What year models do they replace the frame on?

7. Jun 22, 2010 at 5:33 AM
    AlexanderD

AlexanderD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    03' tacoma 4x4 trd step-side
    you guys are missing the question. after one gets a frame inspected and it passes thus giving it a 15 year warrenty does one try and protect it more then what the dealer does or should one do nothing or even help the rust along to try and get a new frame say 5 yeas down the line.
    i like the idea of a bit of both. it would be great to get a new frame in 10 years. like getting a brand new truck in 10 years.

what do you think the dealer would replace in 10 year when doing a frame change? likely there would be more things that would be screwed up in the process after that amount of time compared to the jobs getting done recently.
    any thoughts?

8. Jun 22, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    AlexanderD

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    all tacomas 01-04 that fail the 'test'.

9. Jun 22, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Here's another way to look at it.....

The 2001-2004 trucks get the frame replacements NOW (if they fail).

In another 5-10 years from now - that could change. The frame replacement could become a buy-back situation similar to the 95.5-2000 trucks are having now. I just read that 2000-2004 Tundras have a similar warrantee & frame replacement.

Personally, I still wouldn't waste money on protecting something that's already started to rust. Chances are, the protection won't add much time for the amount of money you put into it. The rust is actually on the inside of the frame where it would be almost impossible to reach in terms of 'coatings' or protection.

10. Jun 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    AlexanderD

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    kinda pissed! the dealer i bought my truck (used) from had done a frame test on it well before i ever even saw it. I'm assuming it passed because it has the original frame. I'm also assuming it got the frame treatment. all that is fine and dandy except they didn't mention a thing about this to me nor was it on any on the service records.. then the went and convinced me to buy an under-spray package. i sure as hell wouldn't have bought the package if i have of known it had a 15 year warranty on the frame.

sorry for the thread jacking

11. Jun 22, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    You assume it got the frame treatment? Does it look like it has?

Regardless, your truck should get free undercoating anyways if the frame passes inspection. I'll give the salesman the benefit of the doubt as he might not be familiar with the frame warranty program for Tacomas..

12. Jun 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    AlexanderD

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    it would be hard to tell if it had received the prescribed frame treatment as i purchased the undercoat package. i think the sales manager i ironed out the deal with should know what vehicle she is dealing with and what recalls and such have been applied to said vehicle no? I'll be calling them today.

13. Jun 22, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    yota32

Member:
    Exactly. My frame already has been inspected and the "rust proofing" was applied but it's junk. This was done a year ago and there's already pieces of metal flaking off. The dealership did not get all of the rust off; it seems to me they just sprayed the "rust proofing" crap over the rust; that'll do nothing. So, I think I would rather have my frame fail within the next 5 years so I can get a new frame and almost have a new truck that I can keep for another 10 years.

14. Jun 22, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    AlexanderD

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    I think no matter what your or i do to slow or stop the rust the frames will fail a test eventually. and either we will get new frames or they may do a buy-back when that becomes to more economical thing for them.

15. Jun 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    dirttrax

dirttrax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is there a thread linking to info on this frame replacement?

16. Jun 23, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Theres a sticky at the top of this forum

I say let her go. You might as well take the gamble that it'll fail within 10 years. Mine just passed but they didnt do any coating on it. The only "protection" I've done is springing for the $5 wash at the car wash that does "salt away" in the winter.

17. Jun 23, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    yota32

Member:
    I agree, I'm not touching it. Considering there are already rusty spots on my frame, the new england winter should take care of the rest. I even think if I did try to "protect" the frame, it's nearly impossible to stop the rust once it starts.

18. Mar 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    TacomaNC

TacomaNC Active Member

Member:
    NC
    borla exhaust tintind windows
    get a new one when time

Products Discussed in

To Top