1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

leaf spring build/rebuild

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by montanabay, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jun 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    montanabay

montanabay [OP] Active Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4WD AUTO
    Hi All,

My 1996 2.7 4WD rear leafs are pretty shot, they sit about parallel with the ground. Last year I added a helper spring, worked okay, but I think they have been straightened out.

No real budget to get any of the common after-market leaf packs, might do the ProComps since they are only $100 each http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Leaf-Spring.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=399&t_pt=4113&t_pl=1831&t_pn=EXP33211

Still don't want to put any more money into right now, was thinking about going down to Pick-N-Pull to look for springs in good shape.

Anything I should look for while looking at junk yard springs? Obvisouly other Tacomas, 4runners, but what about T100? Another other trucks/van leaf springs that can be easily made to fit the Tacoma?

Thanks!

Josh

2. Jun 21, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you're checking pick-n-pull yards....then I'd look for similar 'era' tacoma with similar engine/configuration first.

Ideally, researching online and finding out what other vehicles springs will work is another good idea.

You may want/need to measure the leaf springs to compare the compatiblity to other vehicles. http://www.eatonsprings.com/measuring.htm

Ultimately, compare prices of used versus new/aftermarket.

3. Jun 22, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    montanabay

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4WD AUTO
    yeah, thats the game plan

there is a bit a flexibility in leaf springs since adjustments can be made to the shackles to get a better fit right?

haha, wonder if some old F150 springs would fit on there, even if they were a little shot, still going to be better!

4. Jun 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    montanabay

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4WD AUTO
    there doesn't seem to be ANY tacoma on any of the lots out here, lots of Toyota Trucks and a few 4Runners.

I'll bring a tape measure to compare sizes, game plan is to see if I can swap out a few leafs
    from the the smaller Toy Trucks to add to my current setup...could be a fun little project, any advice? I'll post pics of what I find at the yard to get people brain storming.

Thanks!

Josh

Products Discussed in

To Top