Notices

leaf spring build/rebuild

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
montanabay is on a distinguished road
montanabay's Tacoma Gallery
leaf spring build/rebuild

Hi All,

My 1996 2.7 4WD rear leafs are pretty shot, they sit about parallel with the ground. Last year I added a helper spring, worked okay, but I think they have been straightened out.

No real budget to get any of the common after-market leaf packs, might do the ProComps since they are only $100 each http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...&t_pn=EXP33211

Still don't want to put any more money into right now, was thinking about going down to Pick-N-Pull to look for springs in good shape.

Anything I should look for while looking at junk yard springs? Obvisouly other Tacomas, 4runners, but what about T100? Another other trucks/van leaf springs that can be easily made to fit the Tacoma?

Thanks!

Josh
Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you're checking pick-n-pull yards....then I'd look for similar 'era' tacoma with similar engine/configuration first.

Ideally, researching online and finding out what other vehicles springs will work is another good idea.

You may want/need to measure the leaf springs to compare the compatiblity to other vehicles. http://www.eatonsprings.com/measuring.htm

Ultimately, compare prices of used versus new/aftermarket.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
yeah, thats the game plan

there is a bit a flexibility in leaf springs since adjustments can be made to the shackles to get a better fit right?

haha, wonder if some old F150 springs would fit on there, even if they were a little shot, still going to be better!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
there doesn't seem to be ANY tacoma on any of the lots out here, lots of Toyota Trucks and a few 4Runners.

I'll bring a tape measure to compare sizes, game plan is to see if I can swap out a few leafs
from the the smaller Toy Trucks to add to my current setup...could be a fun little project, any advice? I'll post pics of what I find at the yard to get people brain storming.

Thanks!

Josh

Products Discussed in this Thread