Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

aftermarket 15 inch wheels on ext cab 2.7l 4x4 (Pics please)

Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
aftermarket 15 inch wheels on ext cab 2.7l 4x4 (Pics please)

going to try to go with some 15 inch wheels and run 32x11.5's in the near future but i have looked everywhere and have seen 1st gen 4x4 reg cabs, double cabs, and ext cab v6's running 15's but i haven't been able to find any ext cab 2.7l 4x4 running aftermarket 15 inch wheels. So i'm worried that my calipers may be different than the rest or something....

hopefully someone out there has some
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
i have some 4 runners rims if those count. i can get a pic if yous wants?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well those are toyota rims tho. see the thing is with our rims is that even though mine are 16's, they actually have a small lip cut into them so fit the calipers good. So i'm worried that my calipers may be even larger than other first gen tacos for some weird reason and i wanted some reassurance of someone with an ext cab 2.7l 4x4 with 15's that weren't toyota ones
Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
if you get them with enough offset you will be fine
Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
BajaTaco96 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
BajaTaco96's Tacoma Gallery
Mine had 16" wheels and I have a set of 15" wheels on it now with my 31" KM2's and it's perfectly fine. I wish I could have got more of an offset rim, but it's fine. 3.5" of offset is as close as you want to get, my caliper is mighty tight with the rim. All things considered, you don't need so much meat on those calipers. I took a grinder to my calipers JIC and ground down some of the pointless bulbous sections that were closest to the rim. PERFECTO! I have no problems with them. Just got to make sure you don't have the big brake type deal that my buddy had on his, but he had to use 17" wheels. 16" wheels were merely an option from the factory, so 15's with enough offset will do you good.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
If Im not wrong I think 01-04 tacomas had to have 16'' rims to clear the calipers. But I have some 16'' off a 09 tacoma on mine. Here are some pics.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #8

but i have seen people on here with 01-04 tacos with 15 inch rims on them, they just all came with 16's from the factory. i just haven't seen any ext cab 2.7l 4x4 ones running aftermarket 15's besides bajataco96
Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #9

and can someone explain to me how offset will help? I just understand that less backspacing will make the wheel stick out farther but does that mean it is actually pushed farther from the caliper? or is that what offset does?

so confused haha
Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
and can someone explain to me how offset will help? I just understand that less backspacing will make the wheel stick out farther but does that mean it is actually pushed farther from the caliper? or is that what offset does?

so confused haha

if the calipers are too big, it's not going to fit... regardless of backspacing.

that being said, i didn't know there was a difference in caliper from the 4 cyl. to the 6 cy. ..it should be the same unless you have the rare vsc option.

from wheelers website..

Quote:
NOTE: OUR 15" WHEELS ARE DESIGNED SO THEY WILL FIT ON A 95-04 16" FACTORY EQUIPPED TACOMA
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm
Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery

Im running 15 on 32 11.50 on my 1999 4x4 ext cab 2.7 and they rubbed. The wheel itself is the problem I think, not the size. It hit on the caliper in the front and I had to shave the back down on the wheel a bit so they would clear.

I have no problem with them now though.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #13

Quote:
but i have seen people on here with 01-04 tacos with 15 inch rims on them, they just all came with 16's from the factory. i just haven't seen any ext cab 2.7l 4x4 ones running aftermarket 15's besides bajataco96

Way to throw me under the bus. hahaha

Everything I've read it says anything within 3.25" of backspacing will hit the caliper, but 3.5" and larger gives you enough room to work. Most of the real nice 15" wheels already come with enough backspacing and whatnot to keep the headache away. Mine happen to be cheaper American Racing rims I traded a sub setup for, so I hit it head on....... With a grinder.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #14

well the larger number with back spacing means the closer the rim will sit to the truck. stock is 4.5". so are u saying that u need to get a rim with 3.5" or less? since 3.5 would make it stick out an inch farther
Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #16

Quote:
well the larger number with back spacing means the closer the rim will sit to the truck. stock is 4.5". so are u saying that u need to get a rim with 3.5" or less? since 3.5 would make it stick out an inch farther
Yes sir, sorry, I just read what I was typing. I just remember reading about an offset number and back spacing number on a website before I got the 15" wheels for my truck. If I can find it before the EOD I'll post it up, but it was just like a list for different trucks and backspace and offset numbers for after market wheels to fit without having to "ghetto rig" anything. But any rim with enough offset to keep the wheel far enough away from the truck are golden, ones on my truck are 3.75" of backspacing and were close, but not rubbing. I just grinded on my caliper for a JIC type deal. So a 3.50" of backspacing should be just fine to be imo.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
NickJ*97756 is a glorious beacon of lightNickJ*97756 is a glorious beacon of lightNickJ*97756 is a glorious beacon of lightNickJ*97756 is a glorious beacon of lightNickJ*97756 is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Oregon Army National Guard
Name: Nick
NickJ*97756's Tacoma Gallery
These are 15x8 but not sure on the backspacing. I have 31x10.5 toyos

Old 06-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #19
cab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to all

Name: Corey
cab4you26's Tacoma Gallery
I don't understand this whole backspacing deal. I just talked to wheelers, they said their wheels are made special by procomp to fit the tacomas. my truck is a 97 and came stock with 15's, he said if i was looking for aftermarket wheels then a 15x8 wheel would be hard to find that would fit my truck. if it came with 15's then why would it be hard to find a 15 to fit if that was the stock size? if the stock BS is 4.5, then would a wheel with 4.75 BS fit? or do you go down? i'm so confused, can't someone just give a chart with what size wheels with what backspacing will fit which tacomas?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4you26 View Post
I don't understand this whole backspacing deal. I just talked to wheelers, they said their wheels are made special by procomp to fit the tacomas. my truck is a 97 and came stock with 15's, he said if i was looking for aftermarket wheels then a 15x8 wheel would be hard to find that would fit my truck. if it came with 15's then why would it be hard to find a 15 to fit if that was the stock size? if the stock BS is 4.5, then would a wheel with 4.75 BS fit? or do you go down? i'm so confused, can't someone just give a chart with what size wheels with what backspacing will fit which tacomas?
4.75 would eat your caliper. 3.75" backspacing is close, 3.50" of backspacing puts the tire far enough away from the caliper there is no worries. I see people scream "custom" all day long. In most cases, they're not "custom" at all. Merely something that fit.

http://www.minitruckinweb.com/tech/w...ing/index.html

^ Here's a quick run down of what exactly backspacing and offsets are. I can't find that dang chart I had. I'll keep looking.