Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

has anyone replaced their bench seats for bucket?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
wheelinAZ
cheffboy3030 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richie
cheffboy3030's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone replaced their bench seats for bucket?

I have a single cab 01 tacoma with bench seats. I want to replace the bench with bucket seats to gain more room in my truck and more comfort. I want bucket seats that are slim and sit low. I heard from someone that old Toyota MR2 seats and Honda Del Sol seats work good. Is this true? Do any other seats mount in good? Has anyone done this and how much work is involved?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
WRECKLESS for Life...
Wreckless_71 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Reserve County Sheriff
Name: Justin
Wreckless_71's Tacoma Gallery
Dude... Subbed. I would love to do the same thing. I Guess the thing is to look around. I have some Subaru seats out of my totaled GC8 I could try.... hmmm
Old 06-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
On my 96 - I had split bench seat on my extended cab, manual.

I went to a junkyard and picked up a set of bucket seats out of a tacoma regular cab (similar year) and grabbed the center console.

Seats bolted up. It's been a long time since I did this....but I remember the console didn't sit flush / flat to the floor because the 'tunnel' was a different shape between trucks. It rocked slightly...but I didn't care. The seats/console were exactly what I wanted!!

Good Luck!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
BajaTaco96 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
BajaTaco96's Tacoma Gallery
I had a set of those mastercraft? bucket seats in mine, then some Chevy S10 bucket seats, but now I went back to that split bench seat it came with. Any aftermarket bucket for a compact style pickup will work just fine. My buddy has a set of JDM Integra seats in his and I have another buddy with Bride racing buckets, both extremely comfy. S10 seats I can honestly say, are like sitting in a cloud of you find a set of the later model buckets. But I've been looking at getting a set of Sparco's or something similar in mine now, they sit really low those is my only excuse for not wanting them so bad. But DelSol seats or Integra seats would sit you around the same height, all personal preference man, most of them take a little "engineering" to get them perfect.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
taco craig is on a distinguished road
taco craig's Tacoma Gallery
2007 Bucket for bench seat replacement

I just replaced my base cab bench seat with buckets from a 2007 double cab. The floor holes were predrilled and threaded, positioning was correct, and the mechanical part of the replacement was seamless.

Remember though that the seats have airbag occupant sensors. The drivers side connectors (2 of em) were a match. The passenger side not. The connector on the bench passenger side has 10 pins, the bucket seat has 6. HOWEVER... if you cut off the 10 pin connector from the original bench, attach the same color wires leading to the bucket to the 10 pin connector, the airbag computer will accept and activate the bags appropriately.

The only other hitch was that the seat belt tabs were slightly too wide for the bucket seat belt receivers. Angle grinder fixed that.

The pair of buckets, delivered, was $480. Small price to pay for airbags that work.