1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

has anyone replaced their bench seats for bucket?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cheffboy3030, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Jun 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    cheffboy3030

cheffboy3030 [OP] wheelinAZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 2.4L 2wd standard
    K&N intake, MAGNAFLOW exhaust, PROCOMP es3000 shocks, 1.5" front coil spacers, BFG KM2 mud tires, black UNIQUE 297 off road wheels, modified front bumper, PROCOMP 55 fluted lights, aftermarket tow hooks, BLACKED OUT everything, ALPINE deck, JL AUDIO sub
    I have a single cab 01 tacoma with bench seats. I want to replace the bench with bucket seats to gain more room in my truck and more comfort. I want bucket seats that are slim and sit low. I heard from someone that old Toyota MR2 seats and Honda Del Sol seats work good. Is this true? Do any other seats mount in good? Has anyone done this and how much work is involved?

2. Jun 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    Dude... Subbed. I would love to do the same thing. I Guess the thing is to look around. I have some Subaru seats out of my totaled GC8 I could try.... hmmm

3. Jun 22, 2010 at 11:38 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    On my 96 - I had split bench seat on my extended cab, manual.

I went to a junkyard and picked up a set of bucket seats out of a tacoma regular cab (similar year) and grabbed the center console.

Seats bolted up. It's been a long time since I did this....but I remember the console didn't sit flush / flat to the floor because the 'tunnel' was a different shape between trucks. It rocked slightly...but I didn't care. The seats/console were exactly what I wanted!!

Good Luck!

4. Jun 23, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    BajaTaco96

BajaTaco96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Silver Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma 4wd, 3" suspension lift
    K&N, ToyTec 3" front spacers, 3" Fabtech AAL's, Flowmaster exhuast, no cat, Exedy Stage 2 clutch
    I had a set of those mastercraft? bucket seats in mine, then some Chevy S10 bucket seats, but now I went back to that split bench seat it came with. Any aftermarket bucket for a compact style pickup will work just fine. My buddy has a set of JDM Integra seats in his and I have another buddy with Bride racing buckets, both extremely comfy. S10 seats I can honestly say, are like sitting in a cloud of you find a set of the later model buckets. But I've been looking at getting a set of Sparco's or something similar in mine now, they sit really low those is my only excuse for not wanting them so bad. But DelSol seats or Integra seats would sit you around the same height, all personal preference man, most of them take a little "engineering" to get them perfect.

5. Apr 24, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    taco craig

taco craig New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '07 Taco base
    cruise
    I just replaced my base cab bench seat with buckets from a 2007 double cab. The floor holes were predrilled and threaded, positioning was correct, and the mechanical part of the replacement was seamless.

Remember though that the seats have airbag occupant sensors. The drivers side connectors (2 of em) were a match. The passenger side not. The connector on the bench passenger side has 10 pins, the bucket seat has 6. HOWEVER... if you cut off the 10 pin connector from the original bench, attach the same color wires leading to the bucket to the 10 pin connector, the airbag computer will accept and activate the bags appropriately.

The only other hitch was that the seat belt tabs were slightly too wide for the bucket seat belt receivers. Angle grinder fixed that.

The pair of buckets, delivered, was $480. Small price to pay for airbags that work.

6. Mar 27, 2015 at 7:00 AM
    gilleyman7

gilleyman7 New Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma single cab
    The local salvage yard here in town has two s10 bucket seats that I could use for My truck, but all that's holding me back is if the bolt into the same spots on my truck. Do they bolt up or do I have to fab something up?

7. Mar 28, 2015 at 12:15 AM
    Tacofart

Tacofart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennan
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    04 3.4 4x4 Dual cases/ Lockers
    I have master craft buckets in mine. Had to have custom brackets made though. Huge upgrade and worth the $

Products Discussed in

To Top