Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

'98 Tacoma purchase questions

Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
DeeGee is on a distinguished road
DeeGee's Tacoma Gallery
'98 Tacoma purchase questions

Howdy! First post here.

I'm going to buy a '98 Tacoma 4x4 Xtra cab from my uncle. The truck is in good shape with 155,000 miles. He's the original owner and has faithfully done all the maintenace. 4 cyl, AC, matching canopy, bed liner, manual trans. KBB gives a private party price of around $4200. Does this sound about right?

KBB lists 2.4 and 2.7 liter engines for the truck. Did Toyota offer two different 4 cyl's?

Anything in particular I should check for or be cautious of? I don't know much, so don't know what questions to ask.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, the 2.4 typically came in the 5-lug (non-4x4 suspension). The 4x4 suspension trucks will have a 2.7 or 3.4 (V6). The one thing to look at on that particular model/year is the frame. There is a huge frame rust issue going on right now.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Yes, the 2.4 typically came in the 5-lug (non-4x4 suspension). The 4x4 suspension trucks will have a 2.7 or 3.4 (V6). The one thing to look at on that particular model/year is the frame. There is a huge frame rust issue going on right now.
^^^ Rust is usually an issue in areas where there is a lot of snow and salt is used on the roads. Where has this truck lived? If you search this site for "frame rust," you will quickly learn a lot about this issue and the frame replacement/buyback programs. I do not have direct expereince with this issue. I belive it is stickied under 1st gen.

Is the suspension original? Shocks and springs? These are notorious for weak OEM design, and at that mileage, they are likely toast if he hasn't replaced them. Seach the Suspension threads for "leaf springs," and you will also learn a lot quickly. Basically, it makes sense to replace them with superior aftermarket parts. Many choices are available depending on your budget and how you plan to use your truck. In fact, the variety is staggering. I do have direct experience with this.

I think these are the two big issues to be aware of.

Caution: you are about to learn a lot quickly and spend the next 72 hours on this site! It's awesome!

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
DeeGee is on a distinguished road
DeeGee's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help so far!
The truck has lived it's entire life in Portland, OR. Little to no salt used on the roads but plenty of rain/moisture. I'll talk to my uncle and see if he's gotten a letter from Toyota about the frame rust issue.

The suspension is stock.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
DG,
If the frame is badly rusted and Toyota fails it then bingo for your uncle at 1.5 times KBB retail.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Thanks for the help so far!
The truck has lived it's entire life in Portland, OR. Little to no salt used on the roads but plenty of rain/moisture. I'll talk to my uncle and see if he's gotten a letter from Toyota about the frame rust issue.

The suspension is stock.
Generally, Tacoma's that have spent their whole time in the Pacific NW do not experience frame rust issues. Exposure to moisture and mud are not the root cause of the rust problem. It is road salts which we don't have.

btw: Welcome to TW.