Notices

Fuel Filter?

Old 06-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Newer Taco User
RedTaco02 is on a distinguished road
Army: 136th RTI
RedTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel Filter?

Is there anything special I need to do when changing my fuel filter. I don't have my manual with me. Anything would be helpful.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It can be tricky. Because the hard lines go into it at both ends, makes it tricky to get out and back in. I ended up disconnecting the hard lines from the body several feet in both directions from the filter so you cold drop the lines down a bit and give yourself enough room to work (remove/install).
Here's some factory service manuals
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Make sure you have a bucket to allow the gas to drip into. Have a fire extinquisher handy just in case.

You don't need to do anything to the system...just remove old filter and install new one. Make sure you don't have any leaks.

If you have trouble getting the lines off - spray PB blaster and let it soke. Don't torque too much on the lines - or else you could twist the hard lines. If you twist a hard line and rip it, you've got a much more difficult job to tackle.
**this is what I remember when doing it on my 96 years ago.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Newer Taco User
Thanks man. I was just unsure if there was something I needed to do to my system.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTaco02 View Post
Thanks man.
FYI Janster is a Girl
Old 06-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
FYI Janster is a Girl
AHEM...you mean lady
Old 06-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
AHEM...you mean lady
Old 06-09-2008, 02:53 AM   #7
Newer Taco User
Yeah, sorry about that.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
Newer Taco User
Thanks for the info. IT was messy, but no probs.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Wave rider
BlueSilver will become famous soon enough
BlueSilver's Tacoma Gallery
You really shouldn't ever have to change the fuel filter, it's another great way the dealership makes money off nothing.

Unless.. you got something in your tank other than gas. Like mud.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, RedTaco02. You have a pretty sweet list of mods, but your photo gallery is a barren wasteland of nothingness. You should address that sometime. Sorry to change the subject.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
Newer Taco User
Hey, yeah I need to put some pics on here. I haven't really taken ant pics of my truck. The only ones I have are with just the lift. I travel alot so I don't really think about taking pics, too worried about getting ready for my next trip. I will put some pics on when I get back to GA. should be around the middle of July. Thanks for reminding me though.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #13
02Taoc is on a distinguished road
02Taoc's Tacoma Gallery
am new to these and am having problems finding the fuel filter on my 02 3.4 4dr 2wd ive looked all over the truck and cant seem to find it ..
Old 06-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Taoc View Post
am new to these and am having problems finding the fuel filter on my 02 3.4 4dr 2wd ive looked all over the truck and cant seem to find it ..
Welcome to the forum! Im not sure what year they started putting it in the tank, but you may want to check along the frame on the driver side.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #15
02Taoc's Tacoma Gallery
thanks glad to be on ! ive checked along the frame and havent seen it i traced the line off the tank to the motor and nothing havent seen it ... but theres a possibility it could be in the tank?
Old 06-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #16

Quote:
thanks glad to be on ! ive checked along the frame and havent seen it i traced the line off the tank to the motor and nothing havent seen it ... but theres a possibility it could be in the tank?
Yes. If its in the tank, you dont need to service it. FWIW, if you have to service it, you either have to remove the tank to get to it, or (what I prefer) remove the bed and get to it like that.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #17
02Taoc's Tacoma Gallery
if am gonna do that might as well change the fuel pump ... but i went to the parts store and they gave me a fuel filter
Old 06-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #18

Quote:
if am gonna do that might as well change the fuel pump ... but i went to the parts store and they gave me a fuel filter
Well, like I said, Im not sure what year they started putting them in the tank. Start a new post, and that should get the attention of someone who knows.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #19
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
The fuel pump is located in the tank IIRC, but I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time nor the last. The fuel filter is located on the inner part of the frame and is directly under the driver's seat and is a black tube looking thing. Here's how it looks like:

And the link below is a DIY on how to change it out, just scroll down towards the bottom of the page when you click on the link.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep5.html
Old 06-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #20
02Taoc's Tacoma Gallery
see i got the same fuel filter at the parts store but i dont see it on the truck