Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How can I up my towing capacity?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
How can I up my towing capacity?

On the first generation trucks, the towing capacity is 3500 pounds, but as I understand there are a few of these trucks out there that the towing capacity is 5000 pounds. The truck I am about to buy, I am assuming only has the 3500 pound towing capacity, is there anything I can do to increase the towing capacity to the 5000 pound mark?

I am about to buy a 2004 Tacoma Double Cab with TRD Off Road package and would like to be able to tow something in the future.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
buy a Tundra (new style).
Old 06-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you need to buy a full size for sure man.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Towing capacity is based on the engine, suspension and brakes
Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
If lifted, it also limits towing capacities!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
get bags
Old 06-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
And alot of other things. On a 2nd Gen-You can get a V6 4x4 without the tow package and that'll pull 3500 lbs. With the tow package-6500. Same engine, brakes, suspension. But they add a different fan clutch, alternator, battery, oil and transmission coolers.

Lots of things play into it.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
And alot of other things. On a 2nd Gen-You can get a V6 4x4 without the tow package and that'll pull 3500 lbs. With the tow package-6500. Same engine, brakes, suspension. But they add a different fan clutch, alternator, battery, oil and transmission coolers.

Lots of things play into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
Yep
Old 06-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
"Engine" is a bit simplistic. You say it like that and I think V6 vs I4- not peripheral parts.

Not to mention- Most tow packages have upgraded trailer wiring and a higher class of hitch.
Well sorry for not being specific enough for you
Old 06-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Moved over to 1st Gen. I have no idea about 2004 trucks....Good luck finding what you need.

But if you are thinking about needing that much capacity- You are better off with a full size truck- It'll be more comfortable.
Oops. Did I NOT have this in the first generation thread? My bad, but that is where I meant to put this.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC the 5MTs have pretty good trans cooler up front from the factory.

You'll need to switch out the fan clutch (green vs orange...i forget which is which. look on your fan, buy the other one.)
Old 06-28-2010, 04:31 AM   #15
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
I've done a lot of towing and you need a full size truck to tow 5000 lbs safely. Yeah, I know people here do it but I said safely and you need to be able to control that load.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Before buying that truck - look at the owners manual. It'll tell you exactly what the towing capacity is. You should never exceed the towing capacity - regardless of the modifications you do to it.

Buy a 2nd generation truck with V6 and towing capacity. That'll give you 6500lb towing capacity. But again....you should never exceed that.

If you want to tow heavier loads - get a fullsize truck.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #17

ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I've done a lot of towing and you need a full size truck to tow 5000 lbs safely. Yeah, I know people here do it but I said safely and you need to be able to control that load.
Actually, I was thinking of towing around 3500 pounds and to do it safely I was hoping for a truck that did 5000 pounds. Since we are new to this whole area, we are taking it in baby steps. The first generation truck is actually huge to us considering our other car is a Mazda Miata and a Honda Civic.

We want to be able to tow a very small trailer and the trailers we are looking at are around 2500 - 3000 pounds. After loading them with camping gear I figure I'd be pretty close to the 3500 pound mark, so a 5000 pound towing capacity would be more than sufficient right now. Jumping up to a full size truck or even the second generation Tacoma, may just be a bit overwhelming. At least that is what my wife is saying right now.

Thanks for the advice on this one guys. It looks like we may not be towing much at all. If we do, I guess I will look into getting a transmission cooler and a new fan clutch. If I gather correctly from this thread that is what I would need.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #18
Kritter is on a distinguished road
Kritter's Tacoma Gallery
I've got an 06 coma, with the 4x4 and towing package, and I have pulled a 5500 pound trailer cross country twice and other various trips. Get the 2nd gen tacoma and a brake controller and go slow....
Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #19

ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Well you guys convinced me. I got a 2nd generation Tacoma with the Tow package. That solves that problem.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think a lot of it is the hitch... I think pulling from a ball in the bumper limits you there. Just adding the class III hitch can up it. Just my opinion... don't quote me on that