1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake lights work only when headlights are off

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by THE ROCKOMA, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    THE ROCKOMA

THE ROCKOMA [OP] New Member

Member:
    First, I noticed that my front left parking light stopped working consistantly when I turned on the headlights, but the blinker works perfectly. Then, I noticed that when I depressed the brake pedal, when the headlights were off, the right parking light would light up as well as the brake lights (stop lights). When the headlights are on, the brake lights are constantly on and if I depress the brake pedal they do not light up brighter than the taillights to show I am braking.

I have already done the basic troubleshooting and diagnostics as well as removed extra add-ons like cb, brake-force unit, ect. I currently have the center console off as well as cover where ashtray and cig lighter are in order to access those wires.

Everything seems to be okay.

Do I need to take the dashboard off and check the relays and wiring inside there?

Or any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Aug 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I can't be of much help, but it sounds like a ground somewhere. I had a similar issue with mine. The parking lights came on with the brakes. My trailer wiring convertor box was the culprit.

3. Aug 11, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    THE ROCKOMA

Member:
    Yeah..the trailer converter was the first thing I disconnected...but the problem still remained.

I'm just going to take the dash off and check there.

4. Aug 11, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    check your bulbs,sometimes the 2 lead contacts on the bottom of the bulbs squishes out and touches the other contact

5. Aug 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    x2

Also check the filaments to see if any are broken. I have seen a dual filament bulb fail and cause a short between the parking light and brake light circuit. There were all kinds of crazy symptoms and no one thought to check the bulbs. Simple stuff first.

6. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Have you done a corner blinker mod or any other lighting mods in the front?

Your headlights are on a completely different circuit from the parking lights (which are powered off the taillight circuit). A bulb or wiring fault in the tails would explain weird front parking light behavior, but not anything involving the headlights.

A fault (bad ground; shot bulb; short) in the rear, combined with a fault in the combination switch (light control stalk) might explain these symptoms.

7. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:25 PM
    THE ROCKOMA

Member:
    I will definitely keep that in mind this weekend when I check inside dash...Thanks!

8. Nov 16, 2014 at 4:09 PM
    Twisted99

Twisted99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gold Canyon, AZ
    Had similar problem with a 300z I had a few years ago. Left turn signal and dash indicator would stay on (not blinking) as soon as the headlight were turned on.
    Figured out AFTER I remove the turn signal stalk, ignition switch and headlight switch that the previous owner put a bulb in the that had 1 contact on the bottom, and it was supposed to have 2

WOW, just realized I responded to a 4 year old post. I'm going to go hide now.......

bulb 1 contact.jpg
    bulb 2 contacts.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  9. Nov 16, 2014 at 4:42 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    its your trailer light module shorted out, cut the wires going into it and everything will work normally again, if not reconnect them and THEN start looking elsewhere. if the module is bad use some diodes to make your own and never have to worry about it shorting out your electrical system again.

I have a mod showing you how to do that here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/347860-diy-easy-10-trailer-lights-plugin-fix.html

Products Discussed in

To Top