1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about buying this... need some dealership advice.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98SR5Red, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Aug 21, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    98SR5Red

98SR5Red [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Sway-Away racerunners up front, Downey leafsprings (5 pack) and Bilstein 5125's in back, 2" body lift, K&N/AEM air intake, Energy Bushings, Nology plug wires, Custom front/rear bumpers and sliders. Downey header and custom exhuast from there back.
    Well I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this truck, It's about 2 hours away from me, so I'm probably gonna take one trip up to see it in person, and then another to buy it when I get the financing with PenFed figured out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DOUB...-Steel-Wheels-/270590800963?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

They're asking price is about $1000 below MSRP KBB. And they want another 2kish for the 3yr/30,000mile GM warranty.

I feel like I may have some wiggle room here, due to it being at a Chevy dealership. I've never dealt with big dealerships and was looking for some advice on haggling with them.

I'd like to get the keys and the warranty (also see if I can extend it to 5yr/50,000mile just to protect me up to the 100,000 mile mark) for what they're asking and I'm fine with playing a little hardball if it'll shave some more off the price.

Let me know what ya think.

Thanks guys, can't explain how much help this site has been since I found it.

Justin

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    DSully72

DSully72 2WD Problems

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Appling, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    looks like a beautiful truck, but with that accident reported, its risky.

3. Aug 21, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Sway-Away racerunners up front, Downey leafsprings (5 pack) and Bilstein 5125's in back, 2" body lift, K&N/AEM air intake, Energy Bushings, Nology plug wires, Custom front/rear bumpers and sliders. Downey header and custom exhuast from there back.
    Ya I was thinking the same thing. I've been on the phone a few times with them, and the guy I'm dealing with says the accident doesnt show up on carfax, but it does show up on autocheck (what Ebay uses). I'm gonna try to get them to email me the full CarFax on it. If you look close at the front left you can see like a baseball size dent in the bumper. If that's the extent im ok, I'll probably be going aftermarket there anyway.

It was a leased vehicle for the first 20,000 miles (04-06) then privately owned (purchased from toyota dealer) from 07-2010 when it was traded into this Chevy place. He said the frames had that preventive sprat Toyota's been putting on these to delay the inevitable full frame replacement. And while under the drop in bedliner has the normal where an tear that those things cause, it's nothing to write home about.

We'll see I'll probably go check it out early this week. Any suggestions on how to get what I want from a dealership?

4. Aug 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    DSully72

DSully72 2WD Problems

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Appling, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    yeah gotta be careful though... dont take a lot to put a ding in the frame.

5. Aug 21, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
  6. Aug 21, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Thats weird when I did the KBB all my numbers where about 2k more than the ones on your try. I noticed you didn't click the "limited" option, maybe that's why? We arent far from each other so location wouldn't have effected it.

7. Aug 21, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
  8. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

Very nice truck.
    I wonder what the accident was because it has to be more than just the dent in the bumper I would think.
    When my wife went to trade in her Highlander the dealer really lowered the trade in value because of the accident report even though the vehicle was completely repaired.
    Also I wonder why you put so much value on the warranty. You say it going to cost $2k? That truck should be good for a long time.
    I'd offer $13k and be firm about it.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

9. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i would jump on that in a heartbeat. id trade my 2010 double cab for that.dont do the extended warranty. they are a scam.haggle on the price.check the frame for rust. carfax it and see if anything comes up. carfax isnt 100% but its better than nothing

10. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
  11. Aug 21, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    13k!? You think I got that kind of room Barnone? That'd be killer.

12. Aug 21, 2010 at 10:27 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    i've bought two of them (an 01 and 04). i'd never even consider paying 2K for a warranty... that's why i'm buying a toyota to begin with.

maybe i'll get my buddy who owns a bunch of dealerships to sell some warranties online here on this forum for barely over his cost... i'll talk to him and see.

13. Aug 21, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    david7268

david7268 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRDSport
    NONE.....yet!

Since when does $14700 equate to "about $14000" If that's the case, then let me borrow 700 bucks. I'll owe you about $0.:D

Anyway, the warranty should not cost you any more than $600. They will try downgrading it to a cheaper warranty, but make sure they don't. If they won't budge, then don't buy it.

I would expect to pay between 15000 and 16500. Penfed will use NADA guide for determining how much they will lend you. I think you should be covered as far as that goes. They are also offering 2.99% up to 60 months.

14. Aug 22, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5

Thanks, I will keep that in mind when talking to em about the warranty... I don't know why I'm hung up on that I guess, I know it's a toyota and won't let me down, It's just seems like it'd be a good feeling to know you got some protection if the stuff hits the fan.

And I talked to Penfed the other day, and the lady said the 2.99% is until the end of august, when they will either change it or stay the same. She said only the bigwigs no whats gonna happen with it on Sept 1st.

As far as your prices I think I'm going to walk in and offer 15000, and see where that lands me.

15. Aug 22, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    By the way would it be out of line for me to drop a thread for this in the 2nd Gen section since they all probably recently dealt with dealerships for their rigs? Or maybe the B/S/T?

16. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    tacotopher

tacotopher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    Zombie TRD OR
    Grey wire mod, 5100's on all four corners, AAL in the rear, deckplate mod,
    Truck looks awesome. See if they will let you demo it for a day or two and have everything checked out. You never can tell about those big stealerships... Love the looks of the truck tho

17. Aug 22, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

In my experience an accident report really hurts the value of a vehicle even if it is repaired to excellent condition.
    Take that truck to a dealer to trade it in and you will find out.
    That's why I say $13k.

18. Aug 23, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Well I went to the dealer today, and It's a beautiful truck! The leaf springs are sagged a bit at the front end of them and underneath the leer cap on the bed rails is a little chewed up from the cap it self. It's got a cheesy tuff country block lift kit in it that the dealership didnt even know about.

After a looong test drive and an probably and hour under and around the truck, The guy thought he'd be "genorous' and knock 500 dollars off the asking price, which would bring it to 17,390. I offered 16,000 out the door, and I'm gonna take care of taxes/tags/etc. And he said "he just couldnt go that low."

I couldnt see paying any more than that for the truck so I told him I'd have to chew on it and left.

Hopefully he calls me with a better price.

19. Aug 24, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    96er

96er Sport Rally'er

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma XCab 4x4 SR5
    EDIT - just saw you told him you'd have to think about it, smart move, give yourself a day or so to really think about your impressions...

Ok here's my take, the cliffs notes version, and it might not be as positive as everyone else has been but it's my honest commentary:

- paint between driver and rear driver side door does not match, it is clearly visible in the first pic. I presume it is because the fender and driver's door were painted due to the accident. Inspect that closely when you go see it and look for tape lines on the inside of the door jambs as well as any cheese, wetsanding marks or waves in the paint. People are so ignorant you wouldn't believe what a body shop gets away with.

- Autocheck shows only when the police are involved. This doesnt necessarily mean a bad accident, just one where the cops showed up. Remember, carfax and autocheck CANNOT legally obtain insurance company records...if they could, probably 40% of all vehicles would show an accident.

- CHECK THE FRAME

- Don't do the warranty, you are looking at one of the most mechanically reliable vehicles still on the road today.

- How can a confirmed accident vehicle score 96 on the autocheck??

That said, it still might be a good truck, but at that price you're getting very close to 2nd gen dcab territory which gives you a bigger truck with more creature comforts, so it is my opinion that even with 56k, they are asking too much. Keep your wits about you and use common sense. It's easy to get an adrenalin rush upon seeing it and pulling the trigger, only to have buyer's remorse. Go look at it, then take a drive, come back a half hour later, whatever it takes to make yourself as objective as possible.

Hope this helps.

20. Aug 24, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    98SR5Red

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Thanks for the insight 96er, thats some good advice. I actually didn't notice the paint you're talking about, not even in person. I looked pretty hard for any overspray in that area from a body shop but didn't find any.

And the guy did call me today. He said "he talked to the boss, and he could come down to 17,000" so another. I told him still to rich for me and to be honest after sleeping on it, I thought my offer of 16,000 was even borderline to high. Gaaah can't stand dealerships, bunch of skeevers haha.

Again thanks for the insight!

Products Discussed in

To Top