1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts/Advice on this 2001?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mrpita, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Aug 26, 2010 at 11:10 PM
    mrpita

mrpita [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey everyone, new member, long-time Tacoma searcher here.

I was hoping to get some feedback on this truck I'll be checking out this weekend:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1918088545.html

From everything I've read here and on this ad it looks like a good deal, (especially considering the frame rust issue) but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything that might stand out to you more experienced guys. I'm out of state and will only be in town Saturday so I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for any assistance!
    A Hopeful Future Tacoma Owner :D

2. Aug 27, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Looks like a pretty good truck! The only thing I would check on besides the normal stuff is the timing belt see if it has been changed yet.

Good Luck

3. Aug 27, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

Looks good from here and the price is right. It should sell fast.

4. Aug 27, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    Haha I was looking at this truck the other day, nice clean looking truck. I would definitely check it out thoroughly, and give it a ole test drive.

Ask about the timing belt and any other Mods that may have been done.

5. Aug 27, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    Bring a magnet and a soft thin towel/rag. You can check to see if the paint to cover nicks are just that or bondo hiding an accident....

7500 sounds like a lot, KBB has it listed at 6500 if the thing is mint.

6. Aug 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    mrpita

mrpita [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the tip on the magnet. I checked KBB as well and adding the options on the truck (SR5, TRD, etc.) pushes the value up to around $7300 if it's mint. Agreed that it is slightly overpriced to KBB but it's a great place to start negotiating as opposed to the thousands over book which many people ask for at the start.

7. Aug 27, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    The thing I notice, is the color-keyed flares, but the base model, gunmetal bumpers

8. Aug 27, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    mrpita

mrpita [OP] New Member

Member:
    Good eye! I thought there were 2 SR5 packages in 2001 though. One chrome and one color-keyed. The other portions of the SR5 package I can see in the pictures include tilt steering, white faced gauges, six speaker stereo (you can see the tweeter), air conditioner, and SR5 badging (barely but it's there).

9. Aug 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    Yeah the color keyed is part of the sr5, but I wasn't sure about the bumpers, because they seem to be the charcoal color right? probably just ditched the color keyed grille, and bumpers? IDK why

10. Aug 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    That seems a good deal. KBB is BS. Check service history, including the T-belt at 90k. You should see plug changes at every 30k minimum and throttle-body cleaning, too.

Did you carfax it? I suggest doing this. Check that title.

Look into the shocks and springs. Suspension is pretty notorious for weakness. If original, likely shot. See if the tops of the coils are collapsed (they are progressive, and the tops collapse faster, coils almost touching each oither) and the yellow OEM Bilstein shocks. The typical shock "bounce" test doesn't really reveal this. Go over some big bumps, deep driveway/gutters, and higher speed rough highway and curves if possible to reveal squishy, bouncy handling.

Check the leafs to see if they are frowning. These can lead to a sloppy, bouncy ride too. If the are frowning, you will not be ableto do an AAL (if you wanted to).

This can cost some coin to correct.

The weatherstrip (rubber-covered metal trim) at the bottom of the door windows tends to weather and crack. You can replace these easily, cost about $35 each at the dealer. The latches on the pop-out Xcab windows tend to break. Check these. Also open the little comartments under the back seats to look for anything fishy, like interior rust/flood damage.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, the clutch pedal bushings may also be squeaky/broken, so you might notice that while shifting. They can be replaced easily enough.

11. Aug 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    mrpita

mrpita [OP] New Member

Member:
    Unfortunately the seller bailed on me on Saturday - he couldn't make our original time and I couldn't reschedule. I'm not in town any more so this truck is off my list. Oh well, the search continues. Thanks for all the tips guys - they'll definitely help going forward.

12. Aug 31, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    vantaco

vantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    damn you guys saying that truck is over priced lol

that's be $13K+ here (BC) easily...even in washington state

13. Aug 31, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    04prerunner

04prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    that thing would be around 11k or 12k here in florida!!! not even joking

however KBB is all horse shit!

always remember a truck or car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it!! someone may pay 7500 for this truck, and the guy next to him may pay 10,500 if he wants it bad enough

eff KBB!!

Products Discussed in

To Top