1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sparkplugs- NGK V power vs G power

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kingston73, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Sep 25, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Lately my truck's seemed to be a bit slower, less mpg and in looking at my records I realized it's been about 2 years since I changed my sparkplugs myself, but in aug last year on a long trip my truck had a melt down and I needed to get it fixed out of state. The shop changed the rad and cooling system but also put in a new #3 coil and apparently a new sparkplug in that single cylinder. I only found out just today when I changed out all my plugs and put in NGK v-power plugs. The #3 plug was an NGK platinum plug, with the gap at about .05 instead of the factory .031 gap. All the condenses down to a few questions:
    1) can mixing plugs like this do anything harmful?
    2) are the platinum plugs any better than the standard ones?
    3) how much performance is lost with a larger plug gap?

2. Sep 25, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Generally, a larger gap gives a bigger spark, thus better performance. UP TO A POINT. If the plug is gapped to where it will be out of its range to fire propperly, then issues will arise. Unless the manual calls for Platinum, or Iridium plugs, your wasting money. The OEM plugs at the recomended gap, give the best performance.

3. Sep 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Makes me think the shop just put one in to charge me more money. It definitely feels better with new plugs in. The shop also hadn't put any anti-seize on the plug, the 3 I had put in came out with no problem at all, the platinum plug took enough effort for me to think I was going to strip it or break something. Lesson: don't ever trust an unknown shop, if you have to check the work afterward.

Products Discussed in

To Top