1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME + spacers?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Beeson, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    Beeson

Beeson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 15" Unique Steelie rims, Allpro wheel spacers, Heavy Old Man Emu coils, struts, shocks, leaf springs, Daystar 1" spacer, Camburg UCAs, 1" diff drop, NO sway bar, Allpro sliders, Allpro Rear bumper, Bushwacker fender flares, Tire Gate with spare, ARB Deluxe bumper with Hella 700s and 100w bulbs, 100w lights under frame pointed at tires, 50w lights on bumper for reverse, K&N Drycharger with cover, Flowmaster cat-back with custom 2-out exhast, DeeZee tool box, Huskey Liners, 5% window tint, JVC iPhone/CB compatable deck, Bazooka sub, sony speakers, Uniden CB w/4 ft. anntenna, Dixie Horn.
    That's pretty much my question, I have had OME setup all around, and of course it's great, but of course now the front is sagging.I am wondering if it is possible or a good idea to lift the front up maybe 2" with spacers in the front. Any ideas? Thanks a ton.

2. Oct 4, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    2 more " via spacers would not be good idea. You could do 1/2" with a top spacer kit. But your best bet would probably be to just get a new set of front coils.

3. Oct 4, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    Beeson

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 15" Unique Steelie rims, Allpro wheel spacers, Heavy Old Man Emu coils, struts, shocks, leaf springs, Daystar 1" spacer, Camburg UCAs, 1" diff drop, NO sway bar, Allpro sliders, Allpro Rear bumper, Bushwacker fender flares, Tire Gate with spare, ARB Deluxe bumper with Hella 700s and 100w bulbs, 100w lights under frame pointed at tires, 50w lights on bumper for reverse, K&N Drycharger with cover, Flowmaster cat-back with custom 2-out exhast, DeeZee tool box, Huskey Liners, 5% window tint, JVC iPhone/CB compatable deck, Bazooka sub, sony speakers, Uniden CB w/4 ft. anntenna, Dixie Horn.
    Why would the 2" be a bad idea, because of the stiffness or would it be physically damaging? Also, this suspension is 2 months old and I obviously don't want to be getting new coils, haha.

4. Oct 4, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    I will like to know too, since i want to do the spacer, but most people said not a good idea. I think worse case i may have to get a new set of RIM with the off set.

5. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    gobias

gobias as in Gobias some coffee

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Dbl TRD
    I'm one of those "do it right or not at all" types. Spacers have their place. Bro trucks that never see anything but cruising main street and the shopping mall parking lot come to mind.

Do you have 882 coils? I'm assuming so because of the bumper. If so then I dunno what coils you could upgrade to.

Granted, spacers are the cheapest option but I wouldn't consider it unless you stick to the pavement all the time.
    Wheelers has a 10mm "lift enhancer kit" that would bump you up another .5" or so.

6. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Good excuse to move up to coilovers. Jack the truck up, crank the wrench a few times and you're back where you wanna be.

7. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    Beeson

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Yeah I hate spacers, I've had them, and I realize that I would be ruining what the OME lift is supposed to give me. I just don't really know what other options I have. What do you mean by just jack the truck up, crank the wrench a few times? That sounds pretty interesting to me, haha.

8. Oct 4, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    If you had coilovers, you could change your ride height on a whim if you wanted to.

9. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:28 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Coilovers can be adjusted on the vehicle. Just get the front suspension suspended, turn the adjustment wrench appropriately to raise or lower front ride height. 10 minutes and done. Makes adding weight (bumpers, winches, etc.) a snap.

10. Oct 5, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    Beeson

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Dang, I should have done that with those bilsteins instead of the OME maybe. Well, here I am with the OME; it rides great, but it is defenatly too low in the front for my purposes. I run 33s and there is a bit of rubbing. I guess I am seeing my only option is to install the tiny shim spacers it came with and hope they are just enough. And just to throw it out there, body lifts are out of the question, haha.

11. Oct 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You could blow out the bottom of the strut.

The coils seat (on the strut) that holds the coils in place can't take that much pressure and will eventually break. I knew a guy who had it happen (years & years ago).

Products Discussed in

To Top