1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Valve adjustment

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Panda Cub, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Jan 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    Panda Cub

Panda Cub [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma 4x4
    Cap
    Here is the story:

I have a 2000 taco with the 2.7l.

My taco has 143,000 miles on it, and it is idling a little rough, so I consulted my father who is a mechanic and he told me it needed a valve adjustment. I bought the special tools to get into the engine, but I need to get shims. I know that I need to check what shim I need to get after I take the engine apart. Has anybody done this job before? How expensive are shims? Will a dealer have the shims so I can pick them up while I have the engine apart?

Anybody have any idea what size shims they used? I know that I will have to measure before purchasing, but possibly I can buy multiple sizes of shims and return the ones I do not use.

2. Jan 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You should be able to get the shims anywhere, like a NAPA, or the like. However, I have never seen a set that needed to be replaced with that little milage on it. You may want to donsider other things that might be the issue.

3. Jan 24, 2011 at 3:10 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    X2. I have 145k and never had a valve adjustment and it doesnt need one either. Mine ran alil rough also but cleaned the Throtthe body, IAC, MAF Sensor, Seafoamed and cleaned spark plugs and it runs SMOOOOOOOTH!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top