1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which weatherguard toolbox to buy?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by shampoop, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Apr 9, 2011 at 1:41 AM
    shampoop

shampoop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    Alright, so I want to eventually get a toolbox for my truck. One of it's most important functions will be to transport my tools from work to my house, or wherever I am going to be using them. I want a box that will protect my expensive tools, look and function excellent for a very long time, and be able to be removed without too much hassle when I want to. I'm pretty set on getting a steel weatherguard box because from what it sounds like they are the best around and have proven themselves for decades, steel will be the safest and strongest, and I hate the look of diamond plate boxes. I have a white 1st gen extracab with the factory plastic drop in bedliner. I am trying to decide between these 2 boxes, both in black.

What I like about this one is that it does not involve drilling any holes into the bed to mount. It also would be the easiest to unbolt to remove when I want to. At 114lbs, the weight by itself isn't a problem, but I'm not sure when combined with something that's bulky and awkward to grab.. What I don't like is that I won't be able to use it when I have a canopy on. (I live in WA where it's always raining, so I really want one eventually). It's also more expensive than the other design at around $670 new. It's a weatherguard 130-5-01
    [​IMG]

What I like about this one is that I could use a canopy with it. I think how it stays below the top of the bed looks quite a bit better than any other design. I like how it costs significantly less at around $432 new. It's also only 67lbs so it's much lighter. What I don't like is the issue of mounting the thing. I really don't want to drill holes in my bed or the bedliner, which I think is going to be a deal breaker unless i figure out some genius way to mount it. The width is a few inches narrower than between the distance between the wheel wells. This one is a weatherguard 645-5-01, could only find a white picture.
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have any ideas about how to mount the second box? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Apr 12, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    shampoop

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    I've only heard good things about the brand, steel or aluminum. Most said they'll outlast a few trucks. If I only kept relatively worthless stuff in there like most people I would just by a cheap brand. But i'm not going to, so i won't. :D

Nobody else?

3. Apr 12, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    I have used Weatherguard for many years on work and personal trucks.
    I prefer the smooth over the diamond plate for me but that is just personal preferance.
    They cost more but are well worth it to me espically if you plan on keeping it for a while.

4. Apr 12, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    trdracing5

trdracing5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    Weatherguard. Hey if you are going to do it you might as well do it right.:) I have never heard anyone say anything bad about a weatherguard toolbox.

5. Apr 12, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    shampoop

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    Lol, I'm already pretty dead set on buying a steel weatherguard box, the question is which style and how could I mount the second style pictured without simply bolting straight through the bottom or cab side of my bed?

6. Apr 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    jblaze805

jblaze805 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    2.5" king coilovers, caburg uca, magnaflow exhaust, aem intake
    yes i love mine, and as do i prefer the smooth body they offer. as for the second box OP they had to drill through my truck bed to mount it. Haven't had any issues though. have had it on there for about 4yrs now.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top