Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   Kiboshed my Rear axle shaft today. (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/155134-kiboshed-my-rear-axle-shaft-today.html)

JayARRGHH 05-03-2011 09:19 PM

Kiboshed my Rear axle shaft today.

I was dicing around in a sand/gravel pit with my buddy and bombed up a hill in 2WD with my locker on and getting to the top of the hill, I heard a loud SNAP. rolled to the bottom and checked everything seemed fine, everything was working, no check engine lights. Continue doing our thing, then about an hour later we come out, do a final inspection in a parking lot then my buddy leaves, and I turn the locker off and put it in drive. What do you know, it revs and turns but does not move. I engaged the locker and it was like nothing happened. There were no grinding sounds or anything so I'm assuming I just snapped the axle shaft.

Anybody have any recommendations, I'm fairly savvy with the mechanic work so is this something I should try my self first before wasting money at a mechanic. Where can I find a cheap axle shaft? If it was the diff or spider gear there would be grinding/lock up/the locker wouldn't work right?
I'll post pics when I get the chance.
Thanks
-Jay

Digiratus 05-03-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayARRGHH (Post 3124838)
I was dicing around in a sand/gravel pit with my buddy and bombed up a hill in 2WD with my locker on and getting to the top of the hill, I heard a loud SNAP. rolled to the bottom and checked everything seemed fine, everything was working, no check engine lights. Continue doing our thing, then about an hour later we come out, do a final inspection in a parking lot then my buddy leaves, and I turn the locker off and put it in drive. What do you know, it revs and turns but does not move. I engaged the locker and it was like nothing happened. There were no grinding sounds or anything so I'm assuming I just snapped the axle shaft.

Anybody have any recommendations, I'm fairly savvy with the mechanic work so is this something I should try my self first before wasting money at a mechanic. Where can I find a cheap axle shaft? If it was the diff or spider gear there would be grinding/lock up/the locker wouldn't work right?
I'll post pics when I get the chance.
Thanks
-Jay

So, it seemed to drive normally on the street only when the locker is engaged? When the locker is disengaged, you have no forward drive?

Get both rear wheels up off the ground. With the locker disengaged, manually spin the right rear. If its working correctly it should cause the left rear to spin in the opposite direction. My guess is, spinning the right side wont do anything to the left side like it should.

The right rear is the normal drive wheel with no locker. You snapped "something" on the right side.

WhatThePho? 05-05-2011 02:08 AM

sounds like you blew a pinion.

drain the diff fluid if you see metal chunks and pieces then you blew your ring and pinion.

Tip: Remove FILL bolt BEFORE the drain bolt.