Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   Change from Manual Locks/Windoes to Power Locks/Windows (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/15869-change-manual-locks-windoes-power-locks-windows.html)

pidro_el_pirata 10-06-2008 10:18 AM

Change from Manual Locks/Windoes to Power Locks/Windows

Anyone done this before? I've been thinking about it for a long time and now hopefully going to get to it today. I ordered a kit from A1 Electric in Torrance. They have a really good install page with pictures of each step and it got here two days after I ordered, with regular ground shipping.

I'll post pics!

krlang 10-07-2008 09:03 AM

Hey,
I did door locks not windows.

I was putting in a remote starter and saw that it not only had the controls for PDL, but it had the plug on the unit for an aftermarket kit.

I bought a cheap kit off of ebay.

I had to trim the plastic tube that the door lock rod runs through, attach the motor to the existing holes below the door lock, bend up the rod and attach it to the lock, run the wires and add a switch. I was done in an hour.

I added a switch to the left side of my dash, in a switch hole by the door, it makes it easy to open the other side. its a momentary rocker with arrows mounted vertically, it was almost as much as the door lock motors but it fit well with a little bit of shimmimg to make it stay.

The motors are cheap, about $8 each. but the first few have had their rubber boots rot off of them, and the water caused them to fail.

pidro_el_pirata 10-07-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krlang (Post 197931)
Hey,

I had to trim the plastic tube that the door lock rod runs through, attach the motor to the existing holes below the door lock, bend up the rod and attach it to the lock, run the wires and add a switch. I was done in an hour.

Cool yea i just ran into that tube and I was wondering what to do. How did you trim it? Did you cut a hole to clamp the rods together, or did you cut off the bottom, or what. It seems to be anchored at the top and the bottom is just hanging free. What's the point of it anyways? My original thought was to just cut it off but I'm sure it guides the rod away from the window so I decided against that.

sparklegrease 04-06-2009 09:38 PM

do you have any further info on this? I've been looking into changing over from manual to power locks/windows for awhile, but haven't found enough info to make the jump.

DanGer 04-06-2009 09:41 PM

Damn where were all you people when i posted this! haha I was going to do it but no one here had done it so i held off

krlang 06-04-2009 04:34 PM

Wow,
I guess I havent looked here in a while,

If you remove the button (unscrew from rod) the plastic tube slides up and out.
The tube is an anti-theft device believe it or not. :(
If you didnt have the tube a slimjim will work a whole lot easier.

K.L.

pineapple 06-08-2009 01:47 AM

do you have any pictures on how you did the power lock?.....sounds like something I would like to do.......

krlang 06-08-2009 03:20 AM

I did not take any pictures,
It is a very simple installation, two motors, wiring and a relay panel.
I mounted a switch in the left side of my dash so I dont have to reach over to let her in, but other than that, it is tied into my remote starter.

k.l.

Werloc 06-08-2009 03:13 PM

I want to do a Keyless Entry deal....

pineapple 06-08-2009 10:47 PM

whats a good kit to buy! saw alot on ebay

krlang 06-17-2009 03:36 PM

The cheap door motors are just that, Cheap.
Autoloc has a decent warranty on the $25-30 motors, but the cheap kits come with a $7 motor, no warranty. I have replaced both of mine so far.
The boot rots off and they get filled with water, they dont last more than a year.
I have one humming now, and I will soon be doing some research into replacing them with better units.

ChrisYoTaCoMa 06-17-2009 06:36 PM

My bro in law had his installed a few years back with an Autolock kit. It runs in line with the Toyota factory alarm system. When I replaced my door speakers I saw the aftermarket power lock motors. No problems with it at all. Wish I had power windows though............. Until a motor breaks.... LOL.