Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   what cb radio to install ?? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/160343-what-cb-radio-install.html)

juice 06-03-2011 03:13 PM

what cb radio to install ??

I want to install a cb in my 03' and have seen some mounted in the ash tray location. can some give me brand and model that will make a nice clean install? thanks

LUSETACO 06-03-2011 03:45 PM

Either a cobra 19 or uniden 510xl are small enough to fit. Don't expect them to perform like a full size radio though.

SpazzyB 06-03-2011 04:11 PM

i've got a uniden 510xl mounted in place of the ashtray.

01Tac0ma 06-06-2011 08:30 AM

The midland 1001z will also fit and does fine for me.

offroadTRD 06-06-2011 09:27 AM

uniden all the way........ if you want a small one.... get the 510xl. if you want a larger one with more options.... get the pc78 elite. That's the one that I have and I absolutely love it. Plus I have it tuned and modulated to 100%. Instead of only deadkeying at 4 watts, I'm swinging 18-20 watts. I can talk around 20 miles on a good day. On a bad skip day, I can usually reach around 10 miles. A stock cb from the factory will only reach about 3-5 miles on a good day. It all depends on the term "ionosphere". Its some scientific equation crap they come up with dealing with "skipping". It has something to do with the suns positon to the earth and atmosphere condition. Google "cb radio skip" and you will be fluently informed. I know I went too much in detail about this and probably confused you a little....... but this stuff can get addicting when you start tweaking with radios!!!!!:cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D

Rebel Taco 22 06-06-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offroadTRD (Post 3271122)
uniden all the way........ if you want a small one.... get the 510xl. if you want a larger one with more options.... get the pc78 elite. That's the one that I have and I absolutely love it. Plus I have it tuned and modulated to 100%. Instead of only deadkeying at 4 watts, I'm swinging 18-20 watts. I can talk around 20 miles on a good day. On a bad skip day, I can usually reach around 10 miles. A stock cb from the factory will only reach about 3-5 miles on a good day. It all depends on the term "ionosphere". Its some scientific equation crap they come up with dealing with "skipping". It has something to do with the suns positon to the earth and atmosphere condition. Google "cb radio skip" and you will be fluently informed. I know I went too much in detail about this and probably confused you a little....... but this stuff can get addicting when you start tweaking with radios!!!!!:cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D

Can the larger one that you have still be mounted in the ash tray? Can you go to a shop to have them tune and modulate it? Thanks

offroadTRD 06-07-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 (Post 3271173)
Can the larger one that you have still be mounted in the ash tray? Can you go to a shop to have them tune and modulate it? Thanks

I don't think the larger one can be mounted in the ash tray. The larger one is considerably different in size compared to the 510xl. Yes, you can go to a shop and have them tune the radio/adjust modulation. I have an extended cab so I ended up mounting my cb right behind my center console storage area thingamajigger. I just drilled the mount into the storage compartment and mounted the cb. I then ran my cables underneath the carpet and then into the radio. Bring on more questions if needed..... Glad to help!!!!!

saltbranch 06-12-2011 08:35 PM

You can have the small one tuned and peaked for the most part, I would talk to the CB shop to see which of the smaller units perform better. Definetly dont skimp out on the coax and antenna, buy good quaility stuff and mount it right.

austinstaco 06-12-2011 08:39 PM

I have a Cobra WXST75 set up for sale if you are intrested.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...cb-set-up.html