1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible Electrical Issue Help Pls

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by whitca, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Jun 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    whitca

whitca [OP] New Member

Member:
    My friend has a 2004 Toyota Tacoma and yesterday it overheated and wouldnt start, it would turn over, but then just die. Today after letting it cool down over night it was doing the same thing, it would turn over and then sound like it bogged out and die. Then about an hour later the truck starts up fine and drove it for 10 minutes with no over heating or issues at all, it ran fine. A few weeks back the it threw a CEL for O2 sensor but it went away after a day. Has anyone had this issue or know what it might be, any help will be appreciated.

2. Jun 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    id assume the overheating isnt an electrical problem. and how "bad " did it overheat? could have damaged a lot of things when it overheated which in turn would cause it to not want to turn over

3. Jun 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    Check the anti freeze and oil. Make sure you dont have anti freeze in your oil. Im not too familiar with the outcome of overheating one of these motors, but in a lot of engines you can destroy the head gasket, among other things. That would be one of the first things I did if the motor overheated. That will be a good start for checking for damage before going any further.

4. Jun 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    make sure the water pump isnt seized. find what caused it to overheat then work your way back

5. Jun 26, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    whitca

whitca [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies. I was able to get the true story of what really happened. The truck didn't overheat...apparently, my friend was driving the truck to work and stopped to run into the store. When she went to leave, she turned the key and the truck would turn over and blubber and then die. She looked at the instruments and noticed the temp gauge was pinned above hot so she assumed it had overheated even though it ran fine prior to parking.The issue occurred once restarting the vehicle. She repeatedly attempted to start it and it did the same thing, just stumbled and would idle for a few seconds until it would die. She left it in the store's parking lot overnight until her boyfriend could go take a look at it the next day and it did the same thing when he attempted to start the truck. After calling me, I asked if there was a CEL, which there was so I was planning to pick him up and run to an auto parts store to borrow a code reader. Once I arrived, he started the truck to show me what it was doing and it ran fine, no stumble, no CEL. I drove it to my house and we let it run and get up to temperature just to see if we could recreate the issue, but had no luck. This leads me to believe it's an electrical issue but I don't know where to start. My friend of course is concerned that it will happen again. Thanks in advance for any insight to what could be the source of the problem.

6. Jun 26, 2011 at 10:54 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    id make sure the idle air control isnt gummed up or stuck. also get a code reader and try to scan it anyway, sometimes CELs will "hide"

Products Discussed in

To Top