1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AEROFORCE Interceptor gauge install

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Wangofree, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Jul 23, 2011 at 4:43 AM
    Wangofree

Wangofree [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Auxiliary Transmission cooler, Soft topper, Airbox hole with K&N.
    After our transmission died in the middle of I-270 in St. Louis last month and after having 3,000 rea$on$ why I never want to go back to St. Louis, I knew I had to get some type of transmission temperature monitor gauge. I found what I was after with the Aeroforce Interceptor.

I opted for an A pillar single pod mount. The Aeroforce provides plenty of cable length to run from the OBD2 port up through the pillar trim and out to the gauge. The unit also comes with an optional cable to run 2 mechanical sensor readings to it, and a 12v power supply. You’ll find that some vehicles utilize power from the OBD2 alone whereas my 01 Taco needed to use the auxiliary power lead.

Here is how my installation went: (Photos below)

1) Figure out where you want your gauge to sit. I’m 6’ tall, but I slouch, so I moved it up and down on the pillar trim until it hit at eye level. Mark the location on your trim.

2) Remove the pillar trim. There are 3 connecting points. A clip on the top, middle and a slide tab on the bottom. Pop out the top of the trim to free the top and middle clips then slide the trim up toward the headliner to remove it completely.

3) Position your pod on the trim where you’ve marked your desired location and drill 4 - 3/16” holes in the corners through the pod and your pillar trim. The pod is secured to the pillar trim with feathered plastic connectors. (This pod doesn’t come with the Aeroforce Interceptor it is an aftermarket unit).

4) Remove the pod and drill a ¾” hole in the area that is covered by the pod for your cables to run through. I would suggest a Forstner bit to give a nice smooth hole, but whatever works.

5) Next run your soon to be 12v power wire down from the top to the area of your interior fuse box.

6) Using something like an “add a fuse”, find a suitable location where power is tied to the ignition. You want power to your unit to shut off when you shut off your engine. I opted for the windshield wiper fuse location. Make your connection to the new add a fuse pigtail. I believe I used a 16 gauge wire.

7) Now the fun part. The space between your dash and the side of the pillar is tight. Tape the Aeroforce plug and your 12v power supply wire together and gently pull up from the bottom to the top of the dash. Try to keep the wires toward the back where the existing cable bundle is located. There is more room toward the back. I had to use a large screw driver to pry open the space for the plug sockets to squeeze through. It will go through if you bend things open slightly.

8) Next plug in the Aeroforce plug into the back of the gauge socket, and plug in the power plug into its’ socket. The “power” plug has 3 wires attached to it. The red 12v power wire, and a green and white wire for 2 auxiliary mechanical gauge readings if you opt to install these auxiliary sensors. At this time I didn’t install optional sensors, so the green and white wires are taped off for future use. Attach the bracket to the back of the gauge and tighten thumbscrews so that the unit is positioned however you want it to be. I put it "level" on the horizon.

9) Gently feed the cables back into the hole in the pillar trim. Align your pod to the holes you’ve drilled into the 4 corners. Attach pod to trim using the supplied feather connectors. Now reattach the pillar trim by sliding the bottom tab of the pillar trim into its’ hole and press the middle and top clips into their receiving slots.

10) Finally plug the OBD2 plug from the Aeroforce into your OBD2 port. Secure any extra cable underneath with wire ties. Start your ignition and program the unit to your liking.

I decided to go with the Red display to match what I had. I found it a little hard to read in sunlight, but with 3 display intensity brightness settings it is readable on the highest setting of “3”.

Now while pulling our trailer I can have peace of mind as I monitor the transmission temperature and other parameters.

I’ve gotta say, this is a great addition to our truck.

Mike

2.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.jpg
    6.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    10.jpg

2. Jul 23, 2011 at 5:18 AM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    Nice write-up I have on on my 2010 and Love it!

3. Jul 23, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    hey!.. ok it definately has its bad, but i like living in st. louis... ok... west of st. louis

4. Jul 23, 2011 at 8:33 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Looks good. Nice writeup!

5. Jul 23, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    Wangofree

Wangofree [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Really L2 it wasn't bad. Instead of camping in Ohio we spent 5 days waiting for a new transmission and install. STL has a lot to offer. We enjoyed the museums, zoo, MOTO motorcycle museum and Ted Drewes. It was good, just not what we planned for a vacation. Our motto is "Turn adversity into adventure".

Mike

6. Jul 23, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    Wangofree

Wangofree [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Thanks for the kudos guys. I think if more people checked out the Aeroforce they'd go for it.

Mike

7. Jul 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    outlaw7

outlaw7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    i love mine!
    [​IMG]

8. Jul 23, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Me too.

I love living in Boulder, CO

:D

9. Jul 23, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    Wangofree

Wangofree [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Man Outlaw, those double gauges are way cool!

10. Jul 23, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    Mike330R

Mike330R Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far West Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Offroad w/ stuff
    Nice!
    Can you both chime in on where you got the pods and are they truck specific?

11. Jul 24, 2011 at 4:51 AM
    Wangofree

Wangofree [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
  12. Jul 24, 2011 at 6:45 AM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    i see what you did there ;)

13. Jul 24, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    outlaw7

outlaw7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest